I'll be home soon...

Thursday, March 20, 2008

T minus 67 days: Orders

For those who have served an LDS mission, you undoubtedly remember the day you received your mission call. The anticipation of the letter in the mail, gathering the family around to open it up, and then pulling out the globe or encyclopedia to learn more of the adventure that lies ahead. Well, today I had a similar yet very different experience when a different type of call arrived. I'll explain below.

Several weeks ago my boss came into my office and broke the news--I had been selected for a 15 month deployment to Afghanistan. I was surprised at the timing but overall not shocked that I had been chosen to deploy. At a time when many are asked to leave their families and serve in Iraq and Afghanistan, I knew my turn was really just a matter of time. Part of me knew it would someday come, but another part somehow thought I would serve my years in the Navy and escape without deploying. No part of me ever thought I would go for such a long period of time.

Since we found out the news, we have been waiting for the finality that comes from having orders in hand. Today that day finally came. The orders read...

Report date: May 27, 2008
Total days deployed: 452
Ultimate destination: Afghanistan
Estimated return date: August 14, 2009

There are many emotions that come with orders like these--sadness, worry, fear, and even a little bit of excitement for adventures that lie ahead. Obviously, leaving my beautiful wife and sweet little ones behind is going to be the greatest challenge.

One night, shortly after learning of my assignment, I was kneeling with my 6 year-old Abbie as she said her nighttime prayers. Her prayer was so sincere, so pure, so beautiful. As I listened, tears came to my eyes as I thought of how much I would miss her and special moments like these.

There have been more tears since and I am sure many more will come in the months that lie ahead (not that I will admit to it of course). Ultimately, I am sure this experience will serve to benefit me and my family in ways that we can't comprehend at this point. That's how the Plan is designed. Challenges make us stronger if we have faith and trust in a Father who loves us and wants us to reach our magnificent potential.

I am sure it won't be easy but eventually it will be over. Life will move on and new adventures will be had. So for now let the countdown begin. 67 days till the adventure begins...519 days till it is over.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Yea...I get to be your first comment! You're right about the tears--way more to come. I love you!

Guy said...

You're a stud Justin. We are all praying for you and your fam.

Dawn said...

Justin - I'm so glad you started your own blog. It will be great to hear how you're doing. We love you and your family so much - you will all be in our prayers!

Candy McCall said...

A great BIG THANK YOU, for your willingness and humbleness to serve our country and the children of the world.
I have to say that you are a VERY blessed man to have married a wife that I know is one to be set apart from the norm. She is an amazing woman and together you will press forward and this too shall pass.
You both will come out even stronger and closer at the end of this journey.

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad said:

We love your blog. Thanks for sharing these beautiful words and thoughts. It will be great to read your blog while you're gone.

Love.
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Justin, unbelievable!!! I was shocked to hear this news. It is admirable to read your blog and see the strength you and Sue are facing this challenge with. I know we are far away, but if there is anything we can do to help, know we are there if needed. You and yours will be in our thoughts and prayers. Godspeed, Tim, Anna Mae,and Lily