I'll be home soon...

Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 1: On My Way

Well after months of anticipation and preparation, the day we thought would never come, finally came. May 26, 2008 will not be a day soon forgotten in our home. There are many emotions and feelings that are associated with a day like today--sadness, anxiety, exhaustion, love for family members left, etc.

We started the day off at Build-a-Bear Workshop, where each of the kids picked out a stuffed animal. Each of them was personalized with a recording from Dad--a push of the hand and they can hear my voice. The kids, of course, were excited and happy about this surprise as you can see below.


After lunch, the remainder of the day was surprisingly routine--changing diapers, cleaning up, checking email, loading the dishwasher, disciplining children, etc. However, the hour finally arrived that we had all been dreading. It was time to head to the airport. We drove there with the Grandparents and from there said our goodbyes. It is difficult to describe the emotions that come as you say goodbye to those who mean the most to you. Holding your little ones and wife in your arms and realizing that you won't be able to be there with them for a long time, is a difficult thing today. Check out Sue's Blog for details and pictures (it may take a day or two but I am sure she will have a better description and pictures than I have).

Of all the feelings felt today, I wanted to express those I have for my wonderful and beautiful wife. What an incredible person she is. Despite her anxiety and worry about this deployment, she has supported and helped me prepare for this day. I'm not sure she knew what she was getting into when she married me nearly 8 years ago--four moves (from the East to the West coast), four beautiful babies, family events missed, nights home alone, and now 15 months as a single mother. How grateful I am for a wife who loves me and is willing to sacrifice for our family. I will be thinking and praying for you always.

For those of you interested, I have posted a picture of the room I will be staying in for at least the next few days while I am here in San Diego. I think I am going to enjoy my last few days of wireless internet, cable TV, and indoor plumbing.


Goodnight for now. 1 day down, 451 to go.



6 comments:

Sue said...

I didn't think I had any tears left...I guess I did! I love you!

djones said...

From your mom
Hi Justin,
It will be great to read your blog each day. I love you.
Love, Mom xoxo

Hendry Happenings said...

We are with you!
Love,
The Hendry's

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sariah Hartley said...

You made me cry too. The Teddy Bear thing was so sweet.

mkamye said...

You had me in tears too. I look forward to keeping up with your blog. You and your family will be in our prayers always.

~Amy Hawkins