I'll be home soon...

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day 6: Perspective

Today I flew from San Diego to Kansas to continue my training. A group of about 40 of us took a military flight. We flew on a DC-9 which is a typical commercial plane with a few modifications (no overhead bins, first class area removed, no locked and bolted cockpit). Other than that it is surprisingly similar except for of course the lack of a movie and flight attendants.


It was a clear, beautiful day as we lifted off from San Diego. I always love taking off in a plane and watching the world disappear below. It is amazing to watch a large Navy base shrink as you take flight. San Diego and its large skyscrapers turn into a “small city” and the surrounding mountains transform into nothing more than small hills. This perspective of how small the world really is often lost in the busy world in which we live. As Sue and I have faced this deployment much of our worry has been about how this disrupts “our life” and the things we think we should be doing. It has been hard to see and understand the why behind this experience. I am grateful for moments like today that help me get things back in perspective. It is sometimes hard to see the “big picture” when we are faced with what seems at the moment like an enormous challenge. I am so grateful for a Father who has an eternal perspective and gives me the experiences I need rather than just the ones I want. I will try to have more faith in Him.


Thanks to all of you for your love and support. I always appreciate hearing from you and look forward to seeing you soon.

We did arrive safely in Kansas this evening. I will give you a rundown of Kansas life tomorrow once I have a chance to look around a little.

1 comment:

djones said...

From Mom and Dad Jones...

Loved the blog and especially enjoyed your perspective on the "big picture." Thanks for sharing your more spiritual side, too.

Love,
Mom and Dad