I'll be home soon...

Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 372: A Three Thousand Dollar Hospital

How much do you think it costs to build a hospital...$25 million, $100 million, $500 million? Well, actually it can be done with only $3000. That’s right, only $3000 will get you a state of the art Afghan police hospital. We found this out recently as we helped the Afghan police commander build his headquarters “hospital” out of a large empty room he had available. We found a contractor, bought some lumbar, added a few buckets of paint, and before you knew it we had a $3000 “hospital”. It looks pretty good, although it does have one major flaw...it has no plumbing. Yes, this currently is a non-hand washing facility. I know, it is a little unsanitary but hey, when you only have $3000 to spend, you can’t get everything you want. Pictured here is Ghulam Rasool who is one of the medics assigned to the clinic. Also you see a picture of one of the treatment rooms we created.


5 comments:

Beth said...

I would think plumbing might be a rather important thing for a hospital! Can they at least appropriate some hand sanitizer? I hope this works out well for them.

Laura said...

Wow,and to think I was complaining about hospitals here. It is amazing what people can do when they are just trying to making things better. It is good to see.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine a hospital without water. Some times we take simple things for granted. Count our blessings, huh? I hope they are able to get running water in their hospital soon. I love you.
Love, Mom

djones said...

Hi Justin. This looks like a great effort and will no doubt provide some invaluable services for so many! It's great that you can touch so many people.
Love you lots!
Dad

Kristin and Guy said...

Hand washing is overrated!