I'll be home soon...

Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 390: Moving Boxes

Since I have been in the military I have moved a lot of boxes. In fact, outside of practicing medicine, moving boxes has probably been the thing that has occupied most of my time over these past five years in the Navy. There have been innumerable boxes that I have packed, moved, and stored as the Navy has sent us on our journey from Washington, D.C., to Virginia, to California, to Nevada, and finally to Utah. I don’t think “clearing out the boxes in the garage” has ever left the weekend to-do list since Sue and I were first married. So you would think that coming here to Afghanistan would finally give me a chance to get out of the box moving business for a while, right? WRONG!




Honestly, if you added up all the boxes in the moving trucks, storage units, and garages I have had over the past several years, they would be nothing compared to the pile of boxes I have moved since arriving here at Camp Stone. There have been shipments of urine specimen cups. There have been taxi’s full of vaccines. There was even a bus that was completely full of first aid kits (I wish I would have taken a picture of that one). I have moved boxes from one end of Camp Stone to another. I have hauled them over to the neighboring ANA base. I have moved them from storage containers to humvees and from trucks to storage containers. About the only thing I haven’t done is loaded boxes onto the back of a camel.

Well, lately I have enjoyed my box moving experiences a little bit more. This is because I have been receiving the boxes containing the donations from our Afghan service project. It ended up being a huge project and the amount collected and sent over was amazing. Yesterday I received the latest shipment--approximately 15 boxes (shown below). Over the past few months, as I have moved each individual box (totaling well over a hundred), I have been humbled by the love and generosity of those who donated so much. Each box contains something that will change a life--from clothes that will cover a newborn baby to backpacks filled with paper, crayons, and pencils that will help a child gain an education. Your donations have made and will continue to make a huge difference for thousands of Afghan children.


So thanks again for your generosity and helping contribute to the “watch Justin move 452 boxes in 452 days” project. Luckily, I only have a few more weeks of box moving left until I make it back home. And what will I do once I make it back home? That’s right, my first item of business is to pack everything I own into boxes and move them back to Fallon!

7 comments:

Becky Lewis said...

Oh great......I thought we got to have you around for a bit. I hope we get a chance to see you. (Your family too)

Beth said...

I'm so glad the boxes made it over there and that they will be put to good use. I'm sorry about all the boxes you've had to move, but here's hoping in a little over a year, you guys can finally settle down somewhere more long-term and lose the boxes!

Sue said...

moving never sounded so good! with all the practice you've had...this move should be our smoothest yet.

The Sorensens said...

When you arrive in Fallon, we'll be here to help you unload all of your boxes.

You are an amazing family, and we love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Since we have been married, we have made exactly three moves--University Village, Grandpa and Grandma Washburn's, and the home that we've been in for 34 years. We plan one more move. We bought our plots in Bountiful today!!!
We hope you don't have to box us up for a long time.
Love you lots.
Love, Mom and Dad

Jared said...

I really can't thank you all enough for letting us be a part of this. I wish we could have done more to help get things to you. Can I take that last picture and put it on our school website?

Thanks for all of the great work you are doing there. I really enjoy reading your updates on your blog. Keep up the great work!

Kat said...

I think it is from all your practice back at BYU when you worked for the temp agency Adecco....