I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 346: Blessings


Today we went out to a village an hour west of Herat to do a medical humanitarian assistance mission. It was a great trip. A group of American, Italian, and Afghan medical personnel was able to see approximately 700 patients. It was nice to get out and spend some time with the Afghans.

Throughout the mission I was constantly reminded of how blessed we are back home and how much we truly have been given. Honestly, we have so much. I don’t care how rich or poor you are. Each of us have so many blessings, opportunities and gifts--things we probably don’t even recognize or express our gratitude for. A few patients made a particularly strong impression and reminded me to be more grateful for what I have been given in my life.

First was the old man who has become so weak that he can no longer walk. His son carries him on his back so that he can occasionally leave his sick bed. There is no wheel chair. There is no walker. Just a loving and devoted son who lifts his father on his back and takes him where he needs to go.

Second was the father who brought his four year old to us and asked why this child wasn’t able to learn things or speak as well as his other son. This man did not realize that his son had Down Syndrome. Imagine having a child that is “different” but never really understanding why or what could be done to help him.

Third was a 70 year old farmer. This kind old man’s only complaint was that his feet were sore. When I saw his feet, worn and calloused, I immediately understood why they were sore. These were not the feet of a man who was spending his “retirement” on the golf course or behind the wheel of an RV. Rather they were the feet of a man, in the twilight of his life, working in the Herati fields, trying to support himself and his family.

I’m convinced that my Afghan patients today did much more for me than I did for them. They reminded me to be grateful. They reminded me to remember what truly matters in life. They reminded me to reach out and help those of my brothers and sisters in this world who are in need. I pray that it is a lesson I will never forget.










6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you for the poignant reminder. We truly are blessed. Thank you for this post. I love you.
Love, Mom

Sue said...

I love that you are having these experiences. I love that our children will know of them, and be able to have their own experiences in giving & serving. Keep journaling, and taking pictures...lots of pictures!

I love you.

Kelly said...

Justin, you are a special man, it is an honor to know you. Be safe.

Beth said...

Ditto to everything that's already been posted! Sounds like a very rewarding day and I hope I never forget the lessons you're learning. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

djones said...

Justin, thanks for sharing these observations with us. It sounds like you're sometimes able to help them; sometimes not. I think of the farmer who will be returning to the field for hard labor. Our hearts go out to these people. Thanks for all you do.
Love,
Dad

Dawn said...

What a great reminder! Thanks.