I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 366: One Year Later


One year ago today, this 452 day journey began. I remember well May 26, 2008. It was the day that had been anticipated (or perhaps I should say dreaded) for months. It was the day where I was forced to leave my beloved family behind...hoping they would be safe and happy while I was away. It was the day where the familiar suddenly disappeared and was replaced with a future of unknowns and mystery. It was the day when war went from something just seen in the movies, to something much more real.

Today as I celebrate my one year deployment anniversary, it is amazing to sit and reflect on all that has happened over this past year. The best part about this day is that it is here. It has finally arrived. If you would have told me 365 days ago that this day would actually someday arrive, I’m not sure I would have believed you. But believe it or not, it is finally here.

So how am I celebrating my special day? Well, actually I am sitting in a small crowded barracks, surrounded by ten complete strangers, while trying to take cover from the innumerable flies that are attacking me. Isn’t deployment life in Afghanistan awesome!

I would have never asked to come here and I would not volunteer to come again. However, I know that this experience was given to me and my family for a reason. As hard as it has been at times, I know Someone wiser than I understands the “why” behind this deployment and is trying to teach me lessons that will help guide me not only in this life, but in the one to come. So I will spend what remains of these 452 days trying to take from it those lessons and experiences that will make me a better person, a better husband, a better father, and a more faithful servant to my Father in Heaven.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have handled this deployment wonderfully. I love you and admire you and your positive outlook. You understand the Plan. Heavenly Father is aware of you. He knows and loves you. Thank you for being a wonderful son and for your great example.
Love, Mom

Sue said...

I love you insanely.

Beth said...

I'm so glad this day is here and that you are so close to being reunited with your family. Your outlook on this trial/learning experience is a great example for all of us. Thank you. We're praying here for a July return!

Kristin and Guy said...

We are all so excited that you might be there for the reunion. You are looking fit man! when is that marathon you are going to run in? Know that we are praying for you.

Jennifer said...

I hope the next few months go quickly. You are doing a service that we all appreciate more than we can tell you. Your family is awesome!! We hope you are all blessed beyond measure!!

Hendry Happenings said...

I keep hoping that they are going to tell you that they messed up your paperwork and you are heading home early. Here's to hoping!