One thing I have noticed out here as I have traveled around to different coalition bases is that although we have been here for many years, the bases seem to be consistently dumpy. You would think at some point someone might think, “hey, we are going to be here for a while, let’s build something nice to live in.” Seems like a logical idea but honestly everywhere you go soldiers are still living in wooden huts or modified shipping containers, bathrooms are all outdoors, and nothing but rocks cover the ground. Well today all that changed as I flew into Kabul International Airport to conduct a few days of business. As I arrived, we taxied into the new compound that had just been completed. I was shocked to see normal American quality buildings, grass and trees surrounding the buildings, benches to sit on, an indoor basketball court, and indoor bathrooms. It was almost as if my plane had left Afghanistan and I had accidentally been flown into the Twilight Zone. I walked up and down the street, on a normal sidewalk I might add, and was awestruck by just how normal things seemed. It was a strange but kind of nice.



3 comments:
It must be nice to be back in America for a bit! Summer is getting close; we can't wait to see you.
You are such a great writer! When you get back, would you come talk to my class about writing and the use of adjectives? We enjoyed your post. Please return back to the safer Herat. We love you very much.
Love, Dad and Mom
The pictures were fun. You look great!
Looks like a small taste of home alright.
Post a Comment