I'll be home soon...

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 351: A Mother's Love

Recently while I was out working on a medical humanitarian mission, I was able to take care of several mothers and their children. I love watching these children and how they naturally are drawn to the protection and loving arms of their mothers. Similarly, it is neat to watch these mothers and see the obvious love and concern they have for their little ones. A mother’s love crosses all cultural, religious, and economic boundaries. It can be seen equally in both the busy “soccer mom” in Utah, running her kids around in her minivan, and the burkha clad Afghan mother, leading her children through the busy streets of the bazaar. How blessed we are to have our mothers. These amazing women teach, guide, and protect us and help bring some sanity to our increasingly crazy world.



Today on Mother’s Day I wish to pay tribute to the mothers in my life. Most of what I have been able to accomplish in my life and much of who I am as a person, is due to these amazing and inspired women.

First, I wish to honor the mother of my own four beautiful children back home. Sue, thank you for all the incredible things that you do and the sacrifices you make in order to make our home a place where our children can learn, grow, and be happy. Just over eight years ago our little Abbie was born. Since that April day, your life has been a whirlwind of dirty diapers, runny noses, and sleepless nights. The hours are long, the thank you’s are few, and the pay is poor. However, despite the challenges and difficulties, you persevere and press onward. Although it is sometimes hard to hear the gratitude between the crying and complaining, I know the kids love you and they will thank you now and in the eternities for all that you have done for them. I love you and am grateful to my Father in Heaven that he has blessed me with not only an amazing wife, but also an incredible mother for my children.

Second, I wish to thank and express my love for my own mother. Mom, from our good looks to our common love of anything sweet, I inherited many things from you. More importantly than the things I gained genetically from you, are the lessons learned and the loving guidance that you provided as you raised me in my youth. Thanks to you I have learned to work, I have learned to serve others, I have learned to have a positive attitude, I have learned to sacrifice, and I have learned to put the Savior before all other things in my life. Mom, I love you and am grateful for all that you have done and continue to do for me. Thanks especially for all the love and support that you have given during this deployment--your letters, packages, and prayers have been appreciated and have been a source of strength to me.

Next, to my mother-in-law, Bonnie--what an incredible person you are. Your faith, determination and stamina are unmatched. When I married your little girl, I knew I was marrying into a great family. However, I didn’t fully realize how much of an influence my mother and father-in-law would have on my life and that of my family. Mom thanks so much for all that you do for me, Sue, and the kids and the amazing example that you set for us. I love you and am grateful for you. I don’t know how we would have survived this deployment without your tireless service in our home.

To my grandmothers as well, I wish to express my love and gratitude for your examples and for the happy memories that you have brought to my life. I love you and am grateful for the heritage that you have given to me and my family.

Clearly my life has been blessed by the incredible mothers in my life. Thanks again to all of you for the sacrifices made, the examples set, and the prayers offered in my behalf. Happy Mother’s Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice Mother's Day post. I appreciate the nice things you wrote. What a privilege for me to be your mother.
I love you very much.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

We loved your post. What a cute picture of Sue and Abbie. Did you take the pictures of the Afghan mothers? Those were cute pictures too.
We love you lots.
Love,
Mom and Dad

Beth said...

That was a perfect Mother's Day post, Justin. What a nice tribute to the mothers in your life. Those are great pictures, too!

Kristin and Guy said...

Amen!