Well the 4th here at Camp Stone was not all that memorable. I think in a way it is a blessing that holidays are essentially normal days here. Most of the time you forget it is even a holiday...allowing you not to feel homesick or wishing you were far, far away enjoying the barbecues, volleyball games, and family parties back home.
I spent the morning at the ANA hospital saying goodbye to my Navy colleagues who have finished their year and are heading back home (a few days ahead of me). Their Afghan counterparts did a nice job as you can see in the pictures decorating and providing refreshments. The pastries they had purchased downtown for the ceremony looked pretty good. Unfortunately, I was called away before I could try them.
From there it was a regular Camp Stone day. I checked some email, made some phone calls, and packed a few of my things. Tonight, the only entertainment we have scheduled is BINGO. Exciting I know! Who would want fireworks when they could have BINGO. It should be fun.
On a serious note (not that BINGO isn’t serious business), I am grateful on this Independence Day for my country and the honor it is too serve her. I’ve done my share of complaining about this deployment over the past year. However, I realize now, more than I ever have before, how blessed we are to live in a country where we have freedom and relative safety and security. My sacrifice this past year is small compared to many others who have given so much more to defend her and the liberties she gives to each of us. May each of you have a wonderful 4th of July.


3 comments:
Happy 4th and a big THANK YOU to you and all that are serving with you and making it possible for the USA to have another 4th to celebrate! You are an awesome man and I appreciate everything about you! Love to you and your family.
Happy 4th of July, Justin. I'm glad it's the last holiday you're celebrating away from your home and family and I, too, am so thankful for you and your family and so many others like you who have made the sacrifices you make so that we can enjoy a safe and secure holiday here. Thank you for helping to preserve our freedom! See you soon!
Justin, we went to the 4th of July parade today in West Jordan. The West Jordan Utah Stake had an awesome float. It depicted Captain Moroni, George Washington, modern day soldiers, and the great vision of freedom. Thank you again for your service. We love you lots.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Post a Comment