I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 402: The Bakery

Whenever we take the family to Disneyland, we always stop by the Mission Tortilla Factory in the California Adventure Park. This is a working factory where you learn and see how tortillas are made. We always stop there at lunch time so that we can fill up on hot, freshly baked “free samples”. It is a lot cheaper than buying food at the park!

Anyway, today I was at the ANA base and I decided to drop by the bakery to see how they make their “naan” or flatbread. It is right behind the hospital, but up until today, I never had made it over there. As we approached the building the aroma quickly gave away that we were nearing the bakery--it smelled awesome! Once inside it was interesting to watch and see how they make their bread. As you can see in the pictures, one guy mixes the dough and then passes it on to others who roll it out and texture it. From there it is thrown into the oven to be cooked. The oven is interesting because it is like a large buried barrel. The dough is thrown up against the wall of the oven where it stays in place and is cooked. From there it is removed with some long prongs and whoalla, you have fresh, hot naan.

Of course, just like at Disneyland, I couldn’t leave without taking a free sample. It was pretty tasty.





8 comments:

Unknown said...

Naan is one of our family favorites. Thanks for sharing. Interesting.

Beth said...

It's just about lunchtime here and that looks pretty tasty! I'm glad you enjoyed that. I like to stop into Great Harvest for free samples - YUM! Oh, by the way, we're looking forward to SEEING YOU LATER THIS MONTH!!!!!

Sue said...

mmmmm...do you think you could sneak some of those in your bag?!

Becky Lewis said...

Not quite like the corner bakery though.

djones said...

Never heard of naan. Is it tasty? What does it taste like? Can you put ketchup on it? Anything goes with ketchup!
Happy eating...don't come home with anything that you don't want to pass around.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day. Free samples isn't a bad way to go. I love you.
Love, Mom

Hannah said...

50 days!

Wendy said...

That looks like it was so fun! I adore naan, but haven't been able to replicate the genuine article. Looks like I'll have to build an inground oven in my backyard to get it right.