I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 415: From Kabul to Bagram

Today was the second leg of my journey back home. After spending nearly all afternoon waiting for a ride to take us from Kabul to Bagram, our transportation finally arrived. We were flown in a chinook helicopter--my second helicopter ride of this deployment. This was a different kind of bird than the one I flew in last September. I wasn’t able to take a picture of the actual helicopter I flew in, but posted here is a picture of a similar Italian helicopter. It was a pretty fun ride...although somewhat nauseating. Our pilot was definitely trying to keep things interesting. At times it felt like we were on a roller coaster as we would dive then quickly ascend back up again. The guy in front of me threw up all over the bags lying at his feet. I thought for sure he had gotten my bags dirty. However, when we landed I was pleasantly surprised to see that he had missed mine and hit someone else’s bags.

After about thirty minutes we were back on the ground at Bagram airfield. It was a fun experience and I was glad to have one last helicopter ride to add to my list of unique deployment moments. Most importantly it got me one step closer to leaving Afghanistan and being reunited with my Susie and my kids again. I will be here in Bagram for a few days to outprocess and then will be heading to Kuwait.


6 comments:

Beth said...

We're grateful for each leg of your journey completed!

djones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
djones said...

Okay, that was interesting. Thumbs up for the cool helicopter ride; thumbs down for the aggressive pilot! I can tell I need to pull up Google Earth to reacquaint myself with Bagram.
Be safe.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about your return I can hardly stand it. I'll see you soon. Be safe.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

your pictures are always cool.

seems like you have done a lot of waiting in the past year and it just dawned on me--you should have learned how to crochet or something. that way, you would have had something to do while you were killing time. just think of the sweet afghan you could have brought home for sue :) (no pun intended)

good to see you are making your way back! with or without an afghan, we are still excited to see you :)