I'll be home soon...

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 281: "If You Didn't Find the Hair..."


My brother Jeff and I both served our Church missions in South America. I was in Argentina and he was across the river from me in Uruguay. Many times we would eat with members of our Church or other acquaintances in their homes. Generally the food was pretty good. However, sometimes the conditions in which it was prepared were just a little unsanitary. One phrase that was often heard on our mission was, “if you didn’t find the hair, you ate the hair.” Now don’t get me wrong, I am very grateful that these people, many of whom went day to day not knowing if they would have food to eat, shared their valuable resources with me. They were some of the most kind and generous people I have ever met. However, it doesn’t change the fact that sometimes eating in their homes was a little scary!

Well Afghanistan reminds me a lot of Argentina. These people, who have so little, are willing to share what little they do have with their guests. Afghans are the ultimate hosts and go out of their way to make you as comfortable as their circumstances allow. So today while I was visiting with our regional medical director at the provincial police headquarters, I wasn’t surprised when he insisted that we eat lunch with him. I have eaten in quite a few Afghan dining facilities before. However, never have I eaten in one that made me quite so worried about the trouble it would likely cause to my GI tract. Despite not always wanting to eat with the Afghans when they offer, it is hard to really say no to them...trust me I’ve tried. They really want to serve the Americans and share what they have with us. So we ate. Honestly, the food wasn’t that bad. We had some rice with raisins (I picked out the raisins), some flat bread (called naan), a meatball (I didn’t eat it but smashed it up so it looked like I tried it) and an orange for dessert. Five hours later I am still feeling pretty good...I’ll let you know how things go overnight.

Oh and by the way if you are wondering, I did find the hair...hopefully that means that I didn’t eat it!

3 comments:

djones said...

Mom will definitely want to read this one...but only after she gets better herself! Actually, I thought the meatball might have been pretty good. I guess you really needed to be there. So did you go back and have another meal that day? Be careful and eat right.
Love always,
Dad

Becky Lewis said...

Maybe it was some of that goat. We actually raised goats to eat and they are the BEST tasting meat around. But really - take care.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yesterday I did have the stomach flu and was unable to read your post. I wasn't sick from any food, however. I think it was germs from a couple of grandchildren. Be safe, be careful. I love you.
Love, Mom