I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 284: Springtime in Herat


The other day as we left Camp Stone and drove into downtown Herat, it was surprising to see how green things are getting. We have had quite a bit of rain recently and now with some warmer weather, some vegetation is starting to spring up. Honestly, it is strange to see...as I have never seen anything but brown out here. I couldn’t take any pictures that day because I was driving. So today I decided to look around Camp Stone to find evidence that spring truly has arrived. It was a little difficult given that every square inch of ground is covered in rocks. However, finally, I found something green in a place I wouldn’t have suspected. On the tops of the sandbags that cover the bunkers there were just a few little green plants growing out. It is amazing how nature finds a way to survive even in the harshest of environments.

So today I am grateful for spring...for the warmth...for a little green...and for being one more season closer to going back home.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Way to keep at it 'til you found the green! Tulips and crocus are starting to show their green shoots here and it's felt very much like spring, although a winter storm is supposed to arrive tomorrow - so much for spring in Utah!

Anonymous said...

It's fun to see signs of spring. They are all around here also. I love you.
Love, Mom

djones said...

We're starting to see the "signs of spring" here too. Buds are starting to come out even though there's snow on the ground with a couple of more snow storms to come. It all melts pretty quickly now. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Love, Dad