
One of the most rewarding parts of this deployment is the interaction I have with people from many different countries and many different backgrounds. Daily at Camp Stone, I work with, eat with, and play basketball with people from Italy, Spain, Afghanistan, New Zealand, and Slovenia (well maybe I don’t play ball every single day). Luckily most of them speak a little English which facilitates our ability to communicate. It is interesting to see the differences between us but also neat to see how similar people from all over the world really are.
Today was again one of these culturally diverse days as I met with three other people for church services who come from completely different backgrounds. First, was my regular church companion Roberto. Roberto was born in Nicaragua but has lived in the US for most of his life and became a citizen around 2001. He speaks perfect English and is obviously also fluent in Spanish. He is an engineer working with an international aid agency here in Herat. Second, was Radek, a member of Eupol (European Police) from the Czech Republic. He was baptized into my faith in 2003 while back in his home country. He and I were introduced earlier this week and luckily he was able to make arrangements to come to Camp Stone today for Church. Finally, we had Alfonso, who is a Spanish citizen and who works closely with Radek in the police mission. Although Alfonso isn’t a member of our Church, he was willing to come join with us for a quick Sacrament meeting this afternoon.
It was fun to have different conversations bouncing back and forth with English being mixed in with some Spanish. I even learned a little Czech (Ajot...pronounced Ahoy...it means hello...or goodbye).
One thing I am reminded of frequently here in Afghanistan is the goodness of people throughout all the world. Sometimes we get so America-centric that we forget just how many amazing people and cultures are found on this Earth. Despite the differences in our languages, cultures, religions, and appearances, we are all brothers and sisters, children of the same Maker, and consequently our similarities bind us together in ways that our differences, no matter how great they appear, can ever overcome. I am grateful for moments like today that remind me of this important fact.
Ajot! Adios! Ciao! Later dudes!

4 comments:
Ola. ?Como estas? Hmmm, I don't have the right question marks. I couldn't figure out how to turn one upside down. Loved the email and printed it out to share at our family (Washburn) party tonight and then with grandpa and grandma tomorrow. Do you need a pair of sunglasses? You're the only one not pack'n a pair! I'm glad that you're not alone for church meetings. I thought that you were the only one doing church since that one fellow went back to the States. Roberto must be the one who went home for a visit...and then came back, right? Thanks again for the update and report.
Love you lots,
Dad
I loved your post; it was a good reminder of the fact that we really are all one family. I'm glad you weren't alone for your meeting this afternoon!
Another great post with great insight. I love you lots.
Love, Mom
Justin, I wish that more people would see it that way that you have so eloquently expressed. We certainly ARE all so close to each other. Thank you for the thoughtful post. And what fun to be able to make great new friends!
Post a Comment