I'll be home soon...

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Day 301: Happy New Year...Again?


So I know you are thinking it is a few months late to be writing about the New Year. Trust me, I am not trying to start 2009 over again. I am the last person who would purposely rewind the clock 3 months and add more time to this 452 day odyssey. However, today really was New Year’s Day...at least for the Afghans.

The Muslim World uses a calendar based on the migration of the prophet Mohammad from Mecca to Medina in 622 AD. Consequently, today started the year 1388 in Afghanistan. Because it was an Afghan holiday and everyone was out partying, we spent the day getting some admin. work done in the office. Honestly, for me, it was just another typical day. Here are three of the highlights:

First, I arranged for $3000 to be spent to build the first Afghan National Police “hospital” in Western Afghanistan. $3K for a hospital...talk about a bargain. Maybe I ought to go into real estate. Actually, the “$3K hospital” is a long story. I will explain it in more detail on another day.

Secondly, I transferred 100-plus first aid bags from one part of Camp Stone to another. This actually has become one of my most common past-times--moving supplies around the camp. If the real estate agent thing mentioned above doesn’t work out, maybe I could look into becoming a professional mover.

Finally, this evening while I was talking to Sue, I was called by my boss to help find some emergency medical supplies to be sent to one of our downrange locations. When I arrived on the scene and started gathering the needed supplies, I found that one of the “emergency medications” was ear wax removal drops. Emergency ear wax removal--yet another first here in Afghanistan.

So as you can tell the year 1388 started off with a bang for me. It is always promising when the first day of the year is filled with so many successes and accomplishments. If I can get this much done on the first day of the year, just imagine what I am going to be able to accomplish in the 150 some odd days of the year 1388 that I have left in this journey! Happy New Years everyone.

By the way, the picture posted here was taken today with a group of the medical folk who work with me here at Camp Stone. As I’m sure you can imagine, it was tough to break away from my busy schedule to find the time to pose for this picture.

3 comments:

Gemma said...

Happy New Year, Justin! i see you helped yourself to some treats to celebrate the holiday. :) glad that things have been going well on your deployment. hope it stays that way for 152 more days! hang in there!

Anonymous said...

It must be fun celebrating the new year at different times of the year depending on your life's history experiences. For example, January 1 is based on your American experience. Is there a new year for Argentina? Now there's one for Afghanistan! It's hard to keep track of all the parties. We'll have another one in August and start it as 1AF (after Afghanistan). We love you.
Love, Mom and Dad

Beth said...

Happy New Year, Justin!