Sometimes you have to be creative to promote progress here in Afghanistan...sometimes you have to think "outside the box". Well today I was introduced to the creative vision and ingenuity of a group of soldiers in an isolated base several hours south of Herat. These guys didn't have access to a basketball court. So rather than accept the fact that they couldn't play ball for a year, they decided to take matters into their own hands. They took an old bedframe, some welding equipment, and before you knew it they had a basketball hoop. One of my fellow Navy guys and I were the first ones to give it a try this afternoon. Overall it wasn't bad. The nice thing about playing on a hoop made out of a bedframe is that you always have an excuse for that occasional "brick". It is harder to excuse away the air balls...not that I shot any of course. The other thing that makes "combat basketball", as we called it, interesting, is the razor wire that surrounds the court. It makes you think twice before diving for that loose ball.
I'll be home soon...
Friday, March 6, 2009
Day 286: Combat Basketball
Sometimes you have to be creative to promote progress here in Afghanistan...sometimes you have to think "outside the box". Well today I was introduced to the creative vision and ingenuity of a group of soldiers in an isolated base several hours south of Herat. These guys didn't have access to a basketball court. So rather than accept the fact that they couldn't play ball for a year, they decided to take matters into their own hands. They took an old bedframe, some welding equipment, and before you knew it they had a basketball hoop. One of my fellow Navy guys and I were the first ones to give it a try this afternoon. Overall it wasn't bad. The nice thing about playing on a hoop made out of a bedframe is that you always have an excuse for that occasional "brick". It is harder to excuse away the air balls...not that I shot any of course. The other thing that makes "combat basketball", as we called it, interesting, is the razor wire that surrounds the court. It makes you think twice before diving for that loose ball.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Sweet...if it weren't for the razor wire, I'd think you were on vacation. I think whoever retrieved that ball automatically wins!
That's quite a backboard. Looks like you need a net; however, it doesn't look like there are any hooks to hang it on. The barbed wire was definitely an interesting addition. Any diving looks out of the question...and especially with the barbed wire! Be careful. Think you're the best!
Love, Dad
Take a shot for us!
Necessity is the mother of invention! Have fun and be safe in those ball games.
Love it.
Oh, how I miss the days when Dad and I would sit in the darkened kitchen and watch you guys play basketball with your friends on the sport court. I'm glad you can still play. It's a fun participation sport as well as a fun spectator sport. I love you and miss you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment