I'll be home soon...

Monday, December 1, 2008

Day 191: Thanks for the Trust

As healthcare providers, we all say things to our patients in an attempt to comfort them as we do something uncomfortable or painful to them. It is often hard to know exactly what to say as you jab them with a sharp object or put something foreign into the body that was never intended to be introduced. Somehow “sorry” doesn’t quite seem to be enough as tears well up in their eyes or a cry of pain escapes their mouth. It is not a fun thing. However often it is a necessary evil.

Well today I was on the receiving end of the pain for once as I visited the dentist. I sat in the dental chair as he repeatedly jabbed me with a needle. With each poke of the needle, he repeated in a nearly inaudible whisper...”thanks for the trust.” Over and over he kept repeating “thanks for the trust.” I know his intentions were good. However, his tone of voice and the way he said it was more creepy than reassuring. I found with each injection I trusted him less and less. It made me ponder what my patients are thinking as I try to comfort them or apologize for the pain I am inflicting.

Anyway, the experience really was not that painful. However, the jury is still out on whether it was worth flying across the country to visit this particular dentist. He was very fast and I am not convinced that it was the highest quality of dental care. Time will tell I guess. It is a good thing my brother in law will have graduated from dental school by the time I make it home. I may need to make an office visit to get things fixed up.

Here is a picture of the hospital where the dental clinic is located. Bagram is the largest American hospital in Afghanistan. It is a large and very modern facility. I somehow felt a little homesick as I walked the halls and remembered the days when I actually practiced medicine. I saw doctors walking around in scrubs and with pagers on. It reminded me of my life before these 452 days began.


Attached are a few other pictures of Bagram...a very large and interesting place. It really is like a small city. The main roadway is packed with cars. There are a lot of soldiers, but interestingly there are an equally large number of civilians. They are all over in civilian clothes--making it seem even more like a little city. Also, there is a Dairy Queen, Orange Julius, Subway, Burger King and Pizza Hut (I was tempted to visit one of them but I decided to stick with the fattening, fried food that was free). They also have a large shopping area--a mini mall which I quickly exited. I will leave the shopping for Sue back home.


Here is the USO. It is named after Pat Tilman who was an NFL player who was killed by friendly fire during the early years of the war.


This picture doesn't quite do it justice but there is often a traffic jam on this road.


Here is my living space for the past few days--a little crowded, a little noisy, and a little dirty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the bad dental visit! Ouch!! How long do you stay in Kabal? The sleeping quarters left alot to be desired...at least that's what it looked like. Be safe getting back to Camp Stone. We love you. Love, Mom and Dad