Today on my way to Church I noticed the icicles coming off the roofs of various buildings here on base. Now, as I understand it icicles are supposed to come straight down. The idea behind an icicle is that as the snow melts and the water begins to drip, it refreezes before it can fall to the ground. When this happens over and over again, before you know it you have an icicle. Due to something called gravity, the icicles should be basically pointing down toward the ground, right? Well, apparently no one explained my theory to the icicles I saw today. You will see icicles pointing towards buildings, crooked ones, and even one that is perpendicular to the others near it. Someone explain this to me. I have some theories, but I’m curious about what you think about the subject. All are invited to respond--especially kids and the one physicist in the family. The person with the answer that is closest to mine (caution--this will not necessarily be the right answer--so don’t try to look this up on google or wikipedia) will be sent a special present in the mail...an Afghan snowball.


6 comments:
So...here's a parallel story. The other day the boys and grandchildren were trying to knock nuts out of the tree. They tried several methods--a long handled rake, a tennis ball, shaking one of the lower branches, and the most successful...a basketball. Well, the story has it that at some point the basketball got stuck in the branches of the tree. Hmmm, what to do. It was too high to climb up to. It was impossible to knock out with a tennis ball. So there it stayed; that is, until a strong wind came by and blew the ball out of the tree. The ball almost had to go up (off the branch) and then sideways (out of the tree) before it could come down.
So, back to the icicle story. A theory (from Mom). Like the ball, a strong wind came by and blew the dripping water perpendicular to the ground. It was soooo cold that it froze in a horizontal position. Gravity then took over and subsequent melting caused the icicle to point downwards.
How'd she (Mom) do? We love you.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Good try...wrong answer.
Here's what I think (although I have seen icicles on lamp posts at Niagara Falls that were grown by the wind and updrafts coming off of the falls growing in all kinds of directions, so I think your mom is at least part right. Plus, I don't think your supposed to tell your mom that she is ever wrong, so if I win, I would like to donate the prize to her. :) ). So, I think that the icicles formed straight down, like you say they should. Then, as the snow on the roof slides down, it curls back towards the building before enough of it hangs over the edge to break off. This causes the icicles to appear to grow in towards the building where the icicle continues to grow making them look like they do in your photos.
How'd I do? Also, thanks again for letting us participate in the Afghanistan project. I am looking forward to seeing how things go on your side of the world. Thanks for doing what you are doing there. I wish you the best.
i second the motion.
Shawn Baugh is leaving this comment. I believe the snow was pushed down from the roof in a sheet and instead of the edge falling to the ground it curled over the edge leaving the once straight down icicles bent inward toward the building. The icecles stared at the edge of the roof and then were pushed forword off the edge of the building where gravity pulled them down but not off the building.
Just wanted to say hi and wish you the best this holiday season. I wish for you and your families sake you could be home enjoying time together. Good luck with all you do and stay safe. Merry Christmas.
Alright...you guys are the winners. I believe your icicle theories are correct. Thanks for playing.
Post a Comment