So I am sorry to say that today I am going to subject all of you to a public display of affection--right here on my blog. I apologize in advance for any who inadvertently stumble along this post and are subjected to excessive mushiness. Please feel free to sign off now...I won’t be offended...okay, you’ve been warned.
For those that want to continue, today I want to talk a little about my Susie back home. So much of my writing in this blog consists of describing my new home in Afghanistan--the culture, the food, my job, situations I face, journeys I undertake, people I meet, etc. These experiences are an important part of the “deployment experience”. However, “deployment” is much more than what I find as I journey through this strange land. “Deployment” is just as much, if not more, what I have left behind back home. Many of the lessons I have learned and many of the ways in which I have grown, have been a result of leaving behind those I love the most.
Today I have been thinking a lot about Sue--my beautiful wife, my eternal companion, my best friend. Nearly nine years ago, I finally mustered the courage to ask out the girl I had had my eye on for a long time. She miraculously said yes to my invitation and even more miraculously, enjoyed my company. That date led to another and then again another. Soon we were engaged and before we new it we were married. From there it has been a whirlwind--cross country moves, babies being born, sleepless nights, seemingly endless studies, the loss of a beloved father, making new friends only to have to say goodbye. Then came May 26, 2008 and a goodbye to last 452 days. There have been ups and downs. There has been intense joy and moments of pain and sorrow. However, through it all, I have had the greatest blessing of my life to help me through the journey. Sue I am so grateful to a loving Father for blessing me with your companionship. You have brought so much good to my life. You have been an example to me. I am amazed by your talents, abilities, endurance, patience, and willingness to sacrifice. Someday we will review our lives and see the eternal consequences of the choices we have made. Then will be confirmed to me the truth that I already know. The truth that the most important and wise decision I ever made was to take that beautiful, brown haired girl I home taught at BYU, to the Bountiful temple to marry for time and all eternity.

Sue I love you. I miss you more than I can even express. I long for that day when I will return to you and the beautiful children you brought into my life and hold you in my arms again. That day will come--believe it or not, it really will come. Until then, know that I am thinking of you, that I am missing you, and am praying for your safety and happiness. I love you!

5 comments:
Sue is pretty lucky to have you too Justin!
As if I don't have enough to cry about...thank you. I love you. I miss you. You're allowed pda on your own blog, right? You should have posted the picture just after this one--as we both went tumbling to the ground. Ahhh...memories.
Always-
Sue
I am going to have Travis write and get some pointers on how to make your wife feel like a million bucks!
This is too personal of a blog...so we're not going to comment! Just kidding. We love you both.
Love, Mom and Dad
Thanks for reminding us all what eternal companions mean to each other! It stinks that you have to be apart for so long, but what a reunion you'll have!
Post a Comment