
This is a typical Afghan cemetery. You will notice piles of rocks and occasionally a flag sticking out from one of them. A flag present means that the person buried there was a martyr.

Not sure who this is--sure is good looking though. You may notice that in some of these pictures it looks like I am driving in a regular vehicle instead of a humvee. Here in Kabul it sometimes is safer to drive in up-armored SUV's rather than humvees. It definatly is more comfortable--leather seats, CD player, etc.

Downtown Kabul traffic. Pretty crazy. I'm surprised we never got in an accident. You will notice on the left an up-armored bus. This is one of the methods they transport the soldiers around out here.

I spent my first day here at a medic training school. I am starting a similar program out in Herat and I wanted to come see first hand how they are running things. Here the students are practicing transporting injured patients.

Notice the wooden guns--that is the kind of weapon I prefer. It made me homesick for my wooden rubber band gun back home.

Some more downtown traffic. In the distance you will see a monument. This marks the location of Massoud circle--a major traffic hub in the city and the site of several bombings in the past. Notice also that there are actually trees around. Kabul is actually much nicer to look at than other areas I've been. Trees, flowers, interesting architecture...nice change from the normal dust and desolation out west.

There are a lot of yellow taxis here in Kabul adding to the traffic and congestion. Any idea why taxis around that world seem to always be yellow?

This was an interesting looking monument I saw as we were driving out of the city. The world supported by several concrete beams--not sure what it means or why it was built.

As you have seen in previous posts there are lots of bikes on the roads--adding to the danger. These 2 guys had the right idea as they pulled off to the side of the road and walked beside the busy traffic.

I like this picture--the contrast between the colorful objects in the wheelbarrow and the plainness of his surroundings is interesting. As I drive through the city I often wonder the "stories" behind the people I look at. How many watering pots did he sell today? What kind of home does he have to go home to? Will his kids run up to him and give him a big hug when he makes it home? People watching is always an interesting past-time.

I nice looking home with a dome on top.

Driving through Kabul is like driving through Utah--there is a mosque on every corner, much like there is an LDS meetinghouse on every corner in Utah.

Most of these houses blend into the mountain upon which they sit, except for the brightly colored one in the middle. Again, it is interesting to see the bright color contrasting with the normal brownness that is prevalent here.

Kabul, like everywhere in Afghanistan, is surrounded by mountains. People build their homes clear up to the top of them. I imagine once snow covers these mountains that the people will have a hard time driving up and down them. Most people here don't have 4 wheel drive.

As I traveled through a traffic circle, I got a good view of the city and the traffic coming and going. This picture doesn't do justice to the true congestion and traffic in the city but at least it gives you an idea of what it is like.

I tried to imagine my kids driving around on a cart pulled by a donkey and selling carrots. It is amazing how kids live here vs. back home. Luckily a lot more are going to school. However, many still have to work at a young age to help their families get by.

An Afghan version of a shoe store.

Street vendors are everywhere. They sell everything from fruit, vegetables, sunglasses, magazines, tires, etc.
I will be leaving Kabul soon. It has been an interesting adventure. I am grateful that I was able to see a little more of this part of the country and interact with the people here. As you can tell from this very long post, there is a lot to see and a lot going on. See you all soon.

6 comments:
I loved all the pictures and your commentary! I'm always interested in other countries and cultures, so thanks for sharing. Stay safe!
Thanks for the travelogue. Each picture was interesting. I wonder why they decided to paint that one house green when everything around it is brownish. It really sticks out. I would think that "sticking out" is not a good idea there in Afghanistan. Well, be safe on your return to Camp Stone.
Love, Dad
It's amazing to be how people adapt to whatever life offers, and they make due somehow.
K. So in that picture of the "good-looking guy," the right lens on your sunglasses looks a lot darker and smaller than the left. Makes you kind of look like Terminator or something.
Fo realz.
Justin, I noticed that the people wear earthtone colors. Someone donated some bright-colored scarves. Is that okay to send to the people of Afghanistan? I love you. Love, Mom
the elastic band gun is the best...do you want us to send one over?
Post a Comment