
I spent the majority of my day today in a small room with seven Afghans while we prepared immunizations for our upcoming police in-processing event. I had an interpreter with me. However, most of the time I just sat and listened. It is sometimes more interesting sitting in a room understanding little to none of the conversation than it is if you understand every word. One nice thing about it is that you don’t have to pretend like you are interested in the conversation. Also, there is no requirement to make small talk. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t enjoy being anti-social--at least most of the time. However, it is interesting how much information you can gather just by listening. For example, I could start to figure out the different personalities in the room--the jokers, the serious, the outgoing. Also, I could often tell what the conversation was about...or at least what I thought the conversation was about. That’s the great thing about not understanding what people are saying--you can imagine them saying anything that you want them to.
Now if only I could apply this principle when I get back home. “Honey, please go change Ammon’s diaper” could easily become “Hey, Justin, why don’t you go relax, put your feet up and have a bowl of ice cream!”

2 comments:
Sounds like an interesting way to spend your birthday! You have a card coming from us, but I doubt it got there in time for your actual birthday. Please know that we were thinking of you!
Interesting idea. We're glad we can understand most of the time. Have you ever been in a room where they're speaking English and you don't quite understand what they're saying? We're sad that we didn't get to talk with you on your birthday. Your brothers were all asking about you. We were thinking of you as we got packages of mittens, gloves and hats that we sent off to you. Happy birthday!
We love you lots.
Love, Mom and Dad
Post a Comment