I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 227: Marathon Training

Today, I went to the gym here in Adraskan for a little run. I was amused when I stepped on the treadmill and noticed the control buttons. As you can see in the picture, the increase speed button has a picture of a man on it, while the decrease speed button has a woman on it. “Wow, this is pretty sexist,” I thought when I first saw it. Can you imagine a treadmill that was designed for the U.S. market with those kind of icons? I don’t think it would go over very well. Perhaps in Asia (where it looks like this treadmill was intended to be sold) this is acceptable. I have gotten in much better shape since I have deployed. However, I am pretty sure that there are plenty of women out there who can outrun me without too much difficulty. In fact, if we were to put all the readers of this blog on treadmills, I would not be surprised at all if the women in the group were hitting the increase speed button more often than the men in the group. Anyway, I thought it was funny and thought you all might enjoy it as well.


By the way, I am still continuing my marathon training. I will be running the Lake Tahoe Marathon on September 23 if anyone is interested in joining me and the family up there. If you don’t want to run the marathon, then perhaps a 5K or 10K would be more reasonable. If none of the above sound interesting, then just come up for a weekend getaway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you are serious about the race. I'm trying to get in shape . . . maybe for a 5 or 6 mile walk. I love you.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hooray its half way there day
Does that deserve a treat , I am intrigued as to how it seems to be on 2 for quite a while.

djones said...

Hi Justin. I didn't notice the female/male icons at first but I did notice the oriental symbols. It's nice to have universal icons. Ok, I'm in for a 5K if we can schedule the trip.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

I think I am out...it took me almost 30 minutes the other night to run 3 miles! I couldn't figure out what was wrong...treadmills are just harder then on the street? staring at the speed and distance makes it more monotonous? I couldn't figure it out...then Kim helped me realize that maybe I am just out of shape?

Let me keep training and get back to you.

Take care --

Jeff