It wasn’t until I was married that I realized an important and life changing fact--women are different than men. Ground breaking discovery I know. One of the first and most important lessons I learned about women was that their preparation to leave the home is different than the average man’s preparation. I thought you just jumped in and out of the shower, quickly brushed your teeth, and maybe, if time allowed, ran a comb through your hair. Usually no more than five minutes were required. Little did I know that there are many more fine details and intricacies involved in making yourself presentable to the outside world. There is eyebrow plucking, make-up application, hair (we won’t even go into all the components of preparing the hair), moisturizing and don’t forget analyzing every square centimeter of exposed skin with a magnifying mirror. Then of course, different outfits and shoe combinations have to be tried until just the right mixture is discovered. Also, I learned that there is something that still exists called ironing--I had heard of it before but thought the practice had become extinct after the days of the pioneers. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to say by this that Sue is a high maintenance woman. She is actually very down to earth and sensible and did I mention beautiful (how was that for a good save?). I am only trying to make the point that a few extra minutes of preparation are generally needed for the average lady to prepare herself to go out.
Well, by now you are asking yourself what this rambling post has to do with Afghanistan. I will try to explain. Ever since I have been here, I have noticed women in blue burkhas (I’m not sure why they are blue...although it is my favorite color).

Anyway, these coverings are put on by many women when they are outside of their homes. They cover from the top of the head down to the toes, with only a small opening at the eyes from which they can catch a glimpse of the world around them. During the time of the Taliban, burkhas were required of all women when they were out in public. Now they are optional, but still surprisingly common. I had always viewed the burkha as an oppressive article of clothing, created by men and forced upon women as a way to yield power and dominion over them. But now my opinion has changed...at least a little. As I have been reading A Thousand Splendid Suns (a story about two women who lived in Afghanistan before and during the time of the Taliban) I have been interested by the women and their reactions to wearing the burkha. In both cases, they at first hated the idea of donning this piece of clothing that their husbands forced them to wear. However, as time passed, they both discovered that they preferred the cover offered by their burkha. With the burkha on, they were able to go out among others in a discreet way, avoiding the gaze of onlookers and not having to worry about their appearance or the expressions on their faces. In a sense they are able to be out among the world, but still in a way were invisible to it. It is kind of like Frodo in The Lord of the Rings--you put on the ring (or burkha in this case) and suddenly you are invisible to everyone else (although I guess the ring “called” all kinds of bad, scary guys to Frodo--okay bad example).
Anyway, the point is that a burkha can offer some advantages to women...even to those of you back home. Have you ever had a bad hair day? Have you ever had a zit that the concealer didn’t quite cover adequately? Have you ever run out of time to put on make-up? Have you ever had a run in your panty hose (actually with a burkha you would never even have to wear panty hose again)? Have you ever been in Wal-Mart and suddenly seen an old high school “friend” that you had hoped you would never run into again? Has your husband ever been waiting “patiently” for you out in the car on the day of the big game? With the burkha, these things are no longer a problem. You just throw on the blue beauty when it is time to go and you are gone. Everyone is a winner. You are happy and of course your husband will be happy that you are always ready to go in a moments notice (not that this is about us men...this is all for you ladies). Sure Disneyland or the beach may not be quite as fun in a burkha...but at least you won’t get sunburned (yet another advantage of the burkha).
So to any of you out there who may be interested (or anyone who actually finished this long, scatter-brained post), I probably could get you a good deal on a blue piece of clothing that could revolutionize your life and revitalize your marriage. Let me know if you need one.
And to think I used to not understand women...those days are obviously long gone.
