I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Day 248: A Cat Named Cat

Camp Stone has very little vegetation. In fact, the picture below shows myself and our regional medical director posing today in front of the only bush on all of Camp Stone. In contrast, the ANA base which is right next to us, has trees, flowers, and gardens. The Afghans, although they live in a very barren, dry, land, take great pride in beautifying it the best that they can. I am always impressed as I leave our camp and go downtown by how many Afghans I see out planting trees, bushes, flowers, etc. Interestingly, a very common male name here is “gul” which means flower. I think it says a lot about the good Afghan people that they see and treasure the beauty that surrounds them. In a country where the people have so little, they find joy in the blessings which God has given to them.


Besides meeting today with our medical director, I went over to our medic class and spent some time with the students. They are a good group of guys who are excited by the opportunity they have to learn and grow. They recently adopted a class mascot who they have creatively named “cat” (apparently they don’t name pets here). You will see “cat” in my arms in the class photo below.

I always enjoy the days when I am able to get out and work with the people I have come this long way to serve. The Afghans are a good, hard working, God-fearing people who I have come to respect and admire. I hope their country can finally find the peace and stability that is so long overdue and that the people will find some measure of happiness and prosperity.


2 comments:

djones said...

I like how they named their mascot "cat." There's something wonderfully simple about naming your pets things like "dog," "cat," "bird," "lizard," etc. Simple yet effective! Do you have any allergy problems with the new mascot? Are allergies a big problem for the folks over there? As always, a great post.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I hope the people can find peace too. The pictures are fun. Cat is pretty cute and so are you. I love you.
Love, Mom