
Yesterday, the Afghan National Army regional commander, General Sayar, and several of his top advisers were killed in an accidental helicopter crash south of Herat. After the news arrived, I spent several hours over at the hospital awaiting in case any survivors were discovered. It was pretty somber to see the hospital workers loading up a truck with wooden caskets and all the ambulances heading out to recover the bodies. Ultimately, no survivors were found--leaving a total of 13 people dead in the accident. The Taliban of course tried to claim that they had shot down the helicopter, but it really looks like a weather related accident.
I had met General Sayar only one time. About three month ago, I went to his office and discussed a proposal to bring medical training to his troops. He was a gracious host and was receptive to my proposal. At the time it was pretty impressive to meet with the top General in all of Western Afghanistan. It is an unfortunate and tragic loss and I hope his family, his soldiers, and his fellow Afghans are comforted at this difficult time.

2 comments:
How very sad!
That is a sad story. There are lots of sad stories in Afghanistan and throughout the world. Please be careful. We love you.
Love, Dad and Mom
Post a Comment