2008 will not be a year soon forgotten. Who would have thought last year at this time, that I would be ringing in 2009 half way around the world in Afghanistan while my family celebrated without me back in Utah. This year has been challenging for our family in many ways. There have been a few tears, some lonely moments, and times for reflection and serious soul searching. However, as Sue and I look back on this year, I think we will look back on it as one of the greatest blessings of our life. Hard to believe that what we are experiencing right now could be considered a blessing. However, the lessons learned, the experience gained, and the strength we have gained will help shape not only the rest of our mortal life, but most importantly, the rest of our eternal life.
Shortly before Sue and I were married, I received a much anticipated letter from the University of Utah School of Medicine. The letter came in a thin, legal sized envelope and contained only one sheet of paper, rather than the thick full sized manila envelope I had hoped the postal service would deliver. I was informed in this letter that unfortunately I had not been accepted into their medical school. Shock, disappointment, fear, and anger were all felt at some level. Rather than the fairy tale of getting married and starting medical school near family and friends, we were faced with being driven out “of paradise” and into “the lone and dreary world”. So after we were married, off to Washington D.C. we headed. Some of the challenges and difficulties we dreaded when we left home did come to pass. There was a horrible bed-ridden first pregnancy for Sue, there were the long hours away from home with a new course of study, and there were innumerable sleepless nights with a colicky (although beautiful) newborn. Family events were missed and grandmas and grandpas weren’t present when their babysitting skills were most needed. However, now as Sue and I think of our Washington D.C. years these challenges, although remembered, are not what we really “remember”. We remember fondly the cherry blossoms, trips to Amish country, our small little apartments, driving along the Potomac, life-long friends that were made, and the birth of two of our amazing children. It’s funny, looking back, what a blessing that small envelope containing a rejection letter, turned out to be.
The challenges, the struggles, the heartaches of life slowly fade from the forefront of our memory and are replaced with the good and happiness that these experiences bring us. As we say goodbye to 2008, I am grateful for the experiences I have had this past year. I have learned a lot. I have done things and seen things that I never imagined I would ever do. My love for family, friend, country and my God have all deepened. So goodbye 2008 and welcome to the year in which I will be reunited with you all again--2009!
I'll be home soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
We got to spend New Year's Eve with your cute little family and it was great. Abbie and Ellie are budding actresses; you'll have to ask Sue about that. Thank you so much for your insight into a proper perspective on life's trials; they truly can be blessings in disguise and when we look back on this life from the next, I'm sure we're going to see many more blessings than we ever recognized in this life. All of us, especially your family, are so glad to now be in 2009, when you will be returning to all of us. Happy New Year, Justin!
Happy New Year and I hope it is good to you
I really like the way you find the positive in everything, its something that we all preach but dont always practice.
I hope you will look back on this time and realise that with Gods help you will have touched so many peoples lives in this 452 days than you may do for the rest of your days.
Nearly half way now!! Keep smilimg
Hi Justin, I'm one of Sue's many friends. We had lunch together on Tuesday (had a wonderful time) and she told us the story about going to George Washington University. What a blessing to have someone with an eternally positive outlook on life. You both are very blessed. I enjoy reading your posts and am grateful for your service. I'm also grateful that Sue is back in Utah if only for a short time!
Hi Justin,
What a positive, well written post. We love you so much. Thank you for your positive outlook. We enjoyed talking to your interpreter. He sounded so nice and concerned. We are glad you get to work with someone like him.
Love,
Dad and Mom
hey justin. dave and i like reading about your adventures. i really like this entry because i remember dave opening that same thin letter...what we would have missed if it would have been thick! happy 2009.
Post a Comment