One thing that was nice about this trip, was that we traveled in the next generation of up-armored vehicle--the Cougar. Below you will see some pictures of these vehicles. Over the last several months these vehicles have been replacing the fleet of Humvees found throughout the country. These vehicles are designed to more effectively shield their passengers from the dangers of improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which are the most common cause of casualties in the region. I have to say that driving in the back of one of these gives an added sense of security and safety. It is reassuring that the military is acting so quickly to replace the Humvee with this much safer vehicle. The only down side to this vehicle is its lack of a suspension. Especially if you are sitting near the back of the vehicle, you really get thrown around when the truck hits a bump. Oh well, I think I can live with a few bruises in exchange for the safety this vehicle provides.
By the way, thanks to all of you who sent letters, packages, or just commented on my blog over the holiday season. I really appreciate hearing from you all and for your thoughtfulness.





Have you noticed who is hiding in every one of my pictures. It is my interpreter Shafiq. He tells me that he is the "most handsome man in the world" and constantly sneaks in the background of my pictures.

3 comments:
I'm glad you made it back safely. It sounds like you are accomplishing a lot of good and doing a lot of good things with your time. It was fun to see the pictures of Shafiq. I love you.
Love, Mom
Sounds like you've had a very busy and productive couple of weeks! I've always been partial to the cougar (BYU, you know), but now I like it even more, since it is protecting you; sorry about the bruises, but it is a good trade off. Also, thanks for your version of "Where's Waldo" (Shafiq).
I'm glad you're back at Camp Stone. I wonder why the shocks aren't as good in the new car. Hmmm! The pictures were interesting. They're always better when you're in them.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment