I'll be home soon...

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 259: Rocks


If you could guess what the government buys the most of out here, what would you guess? Weapons and ammunition, maybe? How about ice-cream and french fries? Perhaps vehicles and gasoline? All these are good guesses and honestly I’m not sure what the answer is. However, I wouldn’t doubt it if rocks are in the top 10. Gravel is spread out all over this camp. It isn’t just Camp Stone (no pun intended) however that purchases rocks in bulk--every other base I have been to seems to collect them too. These rocks do serve a purpose, especially after it rains, helping keep mud and dust under control. However, there are also downsides to covering every square inch of earth on camp with rocks. Ankles have been known to become twisted walking on them and more than one person has tripped on one of these things during a midnight journey in the dark to the bathroom.


Now and again, we all take turns escorting local nationals onto the base as they perform various work projects or deliver items that we need. Today, was my turn to have escort duty and what job was I lucky enough to get? That’s right...I was the gravel dump truck escort. I walked back and forth as the dump trucks entered the base, dropped off their cargo, and returned back to the outside. It actually wasn’t a bad job--nice weather, a little exercise, and a chance to practice my Dari with the locals. Hey and if nothing else, I can at least rest easy tonight knowing that our emergency stash of rocks has been replenished.

By the way, if there are any rock collectors out there...I probably could arrange to find a few for you.

3 comments:

djones said...

Actually, I was hoping to get some BIG rocks for the front yard sometime this summer. Big rocks are kind of "in" right now. But I'm not sure how you can get them from there to here! Hmmm. Besides, it looks like you guys deal only in little rocks. Interesting assignment--rock patrol! You'll have an interesting resume when you get done with this gig. Be safe.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

We have rock day at school. The kids have a ball going around the school yard looking for their very own "pet rock". (You may remember the book I gave to each family at one of our family beach retreats. I remember hunting for rocks with some of the grandkids. We had a great time and found rocks that had been worn smooth from the ocean waves.) Rocks are good. You will have to bring home to me one small rock to put in my rock collection. A rock all the way from Afghanistan sounds exciting.
I love you.
Love, Mom

Becky Lewis said...

We actually call Starr our "Rock Starr" because she does collect rocks. She has been the recipient of many rocks from interesting places and even has fossils. Starr's great grandfather (also Sue's) collected rocks and had a lapidary outfit by his place. I do think that she collects much prettier ones than what I can see in the pics.