I'll be home soon...

Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 261: Fortune Cookies

Sometimes my mom puts random things into packages she sends me. I’m not complaining...I’m happy to get them. However, I’ve just noticed that occasionally it seems as if she is trying her best to make sure the box is completely filled--even if she really doesn’t have enough stuff to fill it up. Today, the random object found in the package that arrived was a lone fortune cookie from Panda Express.

Of course I had to open it up...mostly because I wanted to eat the cookie...but also to see what it had to say. When I opened it, my fortune read:

“IMPORTANT EVENTS ARE IN YOUR FUTURE”

I thought this was a pretty good fortune. Not as good as “You will soon become incredibly wealthy” or even better “your tour in Afghanistan has just been decreased to 8 months.” But still it is better than some others I have read in the past.

I think of the events in my life that have led me to where I am now. Some of them have been challenging. Many are a result of choices that I have made--whether good or bad. However, the events of my life have helped shape who I am and have hopefully made me a better, stronger, more Christ-like person.


Now, as I ponder the “important events” that lie in my future, I wonder what life has in store for me and my family. I pray that the majority will be filled with happiness; although I’m sure One wiser than I will throw in a few difficulties to help keep my life in perspective and keep me humble. In the short term, I think of my sweet little Abbie and her eternally important decision to be baptized. Also, I think of my reunion with my wife and beautiful children in August--an event that right now seems as important as any. Down the road there will be new jobs, graduations, weddings, the birth of grandchildren, etc. (whoa...I better slow down and get my kids out of diapers first before I think too much about these kinds of future events).

What a blessing it is to have this life, and the events that fill it, to help mold us and prepare us to for a life that will bring us eternal peace and happiness.

2 comments:

djones said...

It's funny how we enjoy reading fortune cookies. I suspect that this one will come true! We love you and hope that you're safe.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

You are right. I do try to get the most for my money. I want to fill every possible space in those flat rate boxes! I agree with Dad. You have always put important things first and so you are bound to have many very important events and callings in your future. I love you very much and appreciate all of the good examples you have shown to me. Be safe.
I love you.
Love, Mom