I'll be home soon...

Monday, February 16, 2009

Day 268: Afghan Prison


Sometimes deployment feels like prison...you can’t go anywhere, you are separated from family and friends, the food is questionable at times, and you are deprived of the comforts of home. Well today I got a double dose of imprisonment. Not only was I in deployment prison, I was also in Afghan police prison. That’s right I got locked up in the police headquarters prison this morning.

The truth is I asked them to lock me up just so I could see what it was like...luckily they let me out. Actually the jail cell wasn’t that bad. In fact, I’m not sure if I was given the choice between the cell and my room back at Camp Stone which I would take. It’s a toss up.

After spending the morning and early afternoon at the police headquarters we drove down to the Italian Provincial Reconstruction Team headquarters. Now these guys definitely aren’t in prison. They live in regular houses and look at the nice soccer field they’ve got. Did I mention I took this picture of them playing around 2PM...you call that a regular work day? Oh well, I’ll try not to be jealous.


Actually, I was very happy to get off of Camp Stone and get downtown. It had been a few weeks and I was getting a little stir crazy. Honestly, just seeing the city and the people today gave me a little hope for Afghanistan’s future. It seemed so normal . The streets were crowded with people coming and going, businesses looked busy, parents were walking hand in hand with their children. The majority of the Afghans are such good people. I hope that they can get out of the “prison” they have been living in for so many years. A prison of war, crime, poverty and death. They definitely deserve it.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you weren't really in prison. The kids look so cute. I hope peace can come to Afghanistan, too. I love you.
Love, Mom

Sue said...

I can think of another analogy...that first picture is you imprisoned by my love. :)