
I have four little children who I love more than anything in this world. They are smart, beautiful, creative, fun, and just all around AWESOME! However, sometimes they can get a little crazy. One place where they sometimes get a little unruly is in Church. I can think of a few instances (okay maybe “a few” is an understatement) where they have gotten a little rowdy, noisy, or tearful and I have had to escort them out of the chapel. Most of the time it is not a huge deal...after all kids will be kids. However, there have been a few occasions where they have put on quite a show and it has been a little embarrassing. As I have watched the kids grow, I have slowly seen the wiggles lessen, the outbursts decrease, and the “quiet voice” start to replace the “outside voice”. In fact, I’m pretty sure by the time I return home Sue will have them completely trained and Sunday Sacrament Meetings will once again be the peaceful, reverent, quiet experiences they were before we started having children. Sue what do you think?
Well today, like all Friday’s here, was my chance to go to the base chapel and have my Sacrament meeting. For the past month or so the average attendance at the Camp Stone LDS worship service has been exactly one person. Yep, it has just been me sitting in the chapel for the past little while. The guy I normally meet with went home on vacation in January and as far as I can tell hasn’t made it back. He is a civilian contractor so it is possible that he decided not to come back at all.
It actually isn’t that bad meeting alone. In fact in some ways it has been nice to just be there by myself and enjoy the quiet. I am able to read the scriptures, review some Church material and of course take the Sacrament. I think of some of the different Church experiences I have had in my life--from the small congregations in Argentina during my mission, to the cultural diversity we enjoyed in our Capitol Hills branch in D.C., and now to the relative isolation of my Church Service Group in Afghanistan. All have been great experiences. I have learned something from each opportunity. I have met many great people and learned from their examples. In each, I have felt the Spirit and the reassuring love of my Father in Heaven.
So for the next few months, I will enjoy this unique experience and the peace found in the Thomas Chapel at Camp Stone. After all, I know that Church may not be quite as relaxing upon my return back home...right kids?

6 comments:
It almost makes me cry to think of you there preparing for the sacrament for yourself and by yourself. I want to say some profound thing that will make it all better.............I just don't know why except as Adam did, "I know not, save the Lord commanded me". We have some commandments that at times we don't understand but we just obey. It could be all about obedience and the example will be there for your children as they age they will always remember that when their Dad was alone in a far away country, he was obedient to attending to the sacrament. Love to you Justin, Sue, Abby, Ellie, Eden, and Ammon.
My bet is that Sue is probably a little jealous of your "all alone" Sacrament Meeting, because her weekly Sacrament Meeting experience is VERY different! We'll pray, though, that you soon have someone else to meet with, 'cause right now you and Sue are at two different ends of the spectrum!
As always your good attitude shines through. Its fun to see where you have church. I'm grateful you can appreciate the quiet and are committed to going to church even though you are the only one. Maybe before you leave there will be more who join you at church. I love you.
Love, Mom
P.S. Is that a little piano in the background? Do you ever play it?
As I recall, most LDS chapels reserve a back row (and even the bench is designed to allow for it) for wheel chairs and other related needs. Why don't they reserve a far back, corner, side bench for families with little children where they've installed "church belts." You could even reserve your bench in advance. Maybe they could even have drop down trays for food with a little sippie holder for the littler ones. As a youth fundraiser, they could install one or two food dispensers at the end of the bench where for 5-10 cents you could get some Cheerios, gummie bears, or M&Ms. I think it's a great idea. Maybe I'll run the idea by Jeff. In the meantime, I'll doodle the idea on a piece of paper during ward conference this morning and hand it to President Sorensen during the third part of the block. I've getting very excited! Justin, thanks for the idea.
Love, Dad
We enjoyed reading your blog while your mom and dad were here having dinner with us (Sunday). Your mom brought the dinner. It was wonderful. "Alot better than Navy chow," Grandpa says. We send you our love. We're very proud of you and love you very, very, very much. Looking forward to seeing you in April when you come home for a visit. Take care.
Love, Grandma and Grandpa Jones
Justin, I LOVE your dad's idea. How perfect would that be? My kids are 7,5, and 2. Sacrament meeting is RARELY reverent in our row. I still remember being able to take notes in my journal during sacrament so I'd get the full feeling of what the speaker was saying. Now, I'm lucky if I'm even able to HEAR the speaker! I'm sure when you get home, both you AND Sue will be able to fully enjoy the meeting for different reasons. :) Nice post!
Post a Comment