I'll be home soon...

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 273: Buckle Up!

A year or two ago I watched an old family video showing us on vacation in Yellowstone during my early teen years. It was funny to watch as my mom recorded from the front seat what the kids were doing in the back. One of the brothers was lying on the floor. Another was climbing from the front seat of the minivan to the back. No one was wearing a seatbelt or even really staying in their seat.

I contrast this to how my kids travel today. All of them are securely tucked in their age appropriate car seat. No one gets out unless we stop the car for a break or until we reach our final destination. Even though the kids can get a little wiggly at times (as I mentioned in yesterday’s post) they have no choice but to stay fastened in their 5-point, side impact tested, government safety certified car seats.

Honestly I think things have changed for the better since I was a kid. Lives are saved now because people buckle up when they get in their vehicles. Well today I was reminded of how far away Afghanistan is from implementing seat belt laws. As I was over at the ANA base, I noticed a group of trucks getting ready to leave the compound. Now it is not unusual to see one, two, three, or even four guys in the bed of the truck. However, this truck had eight soldiers in the back of one little Ford Ranger. Notice how several of them are already hanging half-way off the back of the truck. One big bump and...ouch...I am sure we will lose two or three of them.

The picture kind of reminds me of what things were like when I was a kid (minus the rifles of course) sitting in the back of a pick-up. My kids will probably never have that experience...unless I bring them on a trip to Afghanistan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things have changed. I'm glad you guys all lived through it. It seems like I did make you wear seat belts most of the time. The video doesn't lie, however. I remember coming home from
California and Joe was sick so I had him come up to the front seat with me. Another memory is holding my sweet little babies on my lap in the front seat. I would say some laws have indeed made life safer. I love you. You be safe!
Love, Mom

djones said...

Fortunately, it's not too far to the ground if they get thrown out. Plus, they've got all this protective clothing. I bet they could even get more in if they wanted. I wonder if there's a world's record for most Afghanistan military personnel in the back of a little truck? Hmmm.
Love, Dad

Kim said...

So there is a mom that picks up her kids every day at Andrew's school. She has a mini-van like ours and she leaves the hatch up while 3 or 4 kids sit in the back with their legs dangling over the side a couple feet from the ground. I am flabbergasted every time I see it. It seems so careless. I can only imagine if she had to make a quick stop what could happen to those kids. Although at times I don't enjoy every aspect of the seatbelt laws, I am grateful that we have them and that they help protect us.

Kim