I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 277: The Teacher

Yesterday Sue told me the story of a school teacher. This teacher left his class behind and voluntarily joined the Army. He wanted to serve his country in Iraq. He didn’t have to go. He could have stayed in the safety of his classroom. He could have remained in the loving arms of his wife and children. However, he chose to go. He chose to put the needs of others above his own.

Tragically, this teacher never returned to his classroom. He was killed in action while protecting the freedoms of those he had come to serve. I can not imagine the sorrow and pain of his family. The grief of a wife suddenly left to face this life alone. The tears of children who can’t understand why their father never came home.

Some may ask, “was it worth it?” Was this man’s sacrifice necessary? After all, if he would have just remained in his classroom, he would be home with his family today.

Several times here in Afghanistan, I have stood at attention with my fellow soldiers, as we have honored the life of one who was taken home early. It is difficult to describe the emotions felt in these moments. To see the empty boots that never will be tied again or the soldier’s rifle that will forever remain silent. It is a sobering experience. At times like these, when you are faced with the reality of how quickly life can be taken away, it is easy to again ask the question, “is it worth it?”

Well, today I was reminded of the answer to this question as I watched a young Afghan boy. This child reminded me of my own kids back home. We gave him a rice crispy treat...his eyes lit up...a smile spread over his face...he opened it...he dropped the wrapper on the ground without a second thought (just like my kids would probably do)...and he happily started to eat. To see the joy of this boy was inspirational. His smile was infectious. I watched as he played. He threw rocks at his sister. He threw rocks at us. He ran. He laughed. He chased a mysterious green light that was dancing around him...never suspecting the laughing soldiers who were pointing a laser his way.


At one point I sat down and motioned for him to come sit by me. He smiled and shyly sat down. I put my arm around him. He didn’t try to run. He didn’t wiggle. He just sat there and smiled up at me. I thought of my beautiful children back home and how much I would love to put my arms around them. I thought of my little Ammon...my little baby who has become a little boy while I have been away. I missed him. I hoped this boy had a father at home--someone to hold him, play with him, and teach him about life. I felt gratitude knowing that because of the sacrifices of so many, this boy may have the chance to grow up knowing peace, not war. Someday he will have the chance to watch a boy of his own play freely and laugh, in the innocent and unrestrained way that only a child can.


It is worth it. Life is a gift from a Father who loves us more than we can imagine. Sometimes, He allows the lives of some of His children to be taken in order to bless and save the lives of others. Sometimes He sends a teacher, knowing that he will never return home again, so that little children in a far away land can play and grow in peace. I pray that his family, who has suffered such a devastating loss, will find comfort through the greatest Teacher of all--who has made it possible for them to someday see their father, their husband, and their son again.

5 comments:

Sue said...

I love you. Can you bring that little boy home? He looks so sweet. I forwarded this to Mrs. Alleman...I hope you don't mind.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing and beautiful post! We love you very much and pray for your safety.
Love, Mom and Dad

Becky Lewis said...

Good job Justin, we love you all and pray for all the military that is out there serving us.

Beth said...

That was so touching and insightful. Thanks so much for helping us see this war through your eyes. And I agree with Sue; you should check into bringing your new friend home with you! We love and pray for you daily.

rochelle said...

This post was so touching. Every day we pray for the safety of our soldiers. Maybe we'll pray for more people to understand why you're doing what you are doing. Thank you for the post!