Since everyone in attendance today had to suffer and sit through my speech, it is only fair that you should have to do the same. Enjoy...
“Subh bakhair. Che Haldarain. (Welcome and Good Morning)
Today we meet to celebrate a historic event and a historic achievement. Nearly 8 weeks ago, a group of 23 Afghan National Police, Border Police, and Afghan National Army soldiers met together to form the FIRST EVER regional medic training course outside of Kabul. In addition to being the first regional course ever, it was also the FIRST COMBINED army and police medic course in all of Afghanistan. Many said this course would never happen. Many claimed the police and army wouldn’t be able to cooperate and work together. Today, I would like to thank all of you here today who have proven that this course could not only exist but that it could succeed.
Over the past 8 weeks, these 23 students have made dramatic progress and acquired many new skills. They have learned to control life-threatening bleeding. They have learned how to manage an airway. They have learned how to splint wounded extremities. They have learned to properly and safely evacuate a patient. They have learned the basics of anatomy and physiology. They have learned how to treat shock, burns, heat injuries, and place an IV. The training and skills these students have acquired during this course will be a great asset to the ANP and ANA in the future. They will help prevent the spread of disease. They will help save lives.
When I started medical school, I was initially overwhelmed by the amount of things I was asked to learn. It seemed that the topics covered were innumerable and the time available for study was always limited. Slowly I learned the lessons taught to me. Little by little, I gained the experience and knowledge necessary to practice medicine. Today, you students have started on a similar journey. You have learned much. You have acquired many new skills. However, there is still much to learn and many more skills to master. To all of our graduates today I encourage you to continue to learn. Seek out opportunities to practice the skills you have learned. Share your knowledge by teaching your fellow soldiers and police. The effort will be worth it. You have learned skills that will allow you someday to help a fellow soldier in need and perhaps to save a life. Take seriously this responsibility. Prepare now for this moment so that you will be prepared when this time comes.
To the leadership of the ANA, ANP and Border Police, I thank you for your presence today. I would like you to know that your soldiers and your police have performed their duties well. They have learned the skills they have been asked to learn. They have worked hard. Through their efforts they have brought honor to themselves and to the Afghan National Security Forces. I encourage you to use these police and soldiers for the purpose for which they were trained. Allow them to work with the other medical personnel you have on your bases. Give them opportunities to continue to learn.
I would once again like to congratulate our graduates. You have all done an excellent job and should be proud of your hard work and success. It has been an honor for us to work with and associate with you. We wish peace, happiness and health to you and your families. Our greatest hope is that each and every one of you leave this graduation today dedicated to using your newly learned skills to make a difference for yourselves, your family, and your country. We are confident you will.
Tashakor (thank you).”
Anyone still awake? If you didn’t make it to the end, that’s okay, a lot of others today had the same experience!






4 comments:
What? You didn't give the whole speech in Dari? :) Honestly, you amaze me! I'm so proud of everything you're doing there. You are definitely there for a reason. I love you!
Very, very cool. I'm sure there are some payback moments and this must have been one of them. Did you use your arm as a visual aid--showing what happens during initial iv instruction and training? What an amazing experience you're having.
Eshq shomaa besyaar bisyaar wa namaaz khaandan aan shomaa qaasd daa'em hamesha budan sanduqe aahani.
Eshq, Dad
I enjoyed your talk. It was very good. Let this be the first of many talks that you give me. As you may recall, I've not only asked you but your brothers for copies of talks that you have given in sacrament meetings. I have yet to receive one. I hope you will share your talks in the future. I love you.
Love, Mom
That was a great speech and such a wonderful work you're doing there - way to go, Justin!
Post a Comment