I'll be home soon...

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Day 196: The Clouds Below


It is interesting how differently a cloud can look when viewed from above compared to its appearance from below. Today as I traveled back to Herat from Kabul, I was impressed by the appearance of the clouds. As we flew high in the sky, the clouds below were completely white, bright, beautiful, clean--bringing thoughts of peace, calm, and things celestial to the mind. As we descended into Herat, these same beautiful clouds turned dark and threatening. What only moments before was bright and beautiful, quickly became dark and gloomy.


I have been blessed in my life to spend most of my time high in the sky, enjoying the beautiful white clouds below. Little turbulence has come along the path of my life. I am grateful to a loving Father for this great blessing. However, like everyone else, I have occasionally fallen and faced the storm below. I remember the day, nearly a year ago, when I was told about this deployment. Fifteen long months, separation from my beautiful wife and children, loss of the comforts of home--it definitely seemed more like the darkness and the storm, than the beauty of the clouds above. Tears have been shed, loneliness has been felt, and some hardships endured. However, as I look back on the past 196 days, I realize that this experience has helped me grow, has taught me to appreciate and love my family more, and has given me the opportunity to trust in my Father in Heaven and come to know Him better. I’ve learned that life, like the clouds, often appears dark and stormy. However, on the other side of the storm clouds of life, always lies the brightness and peace that we all desire.

4 comments:

Becky Lewis said...

Hang in there Justin, not that our prayers will do much good, but maybe our little bit will help in a small way. We all love you and your family.

Beth said...

That's a great analogy; thanks for sharing. We got to see Sue, Eden and Ammon today. It was great fun and they're doing well. We love and miss you. Take care and stay safe!

Anonymous said...

In this last General Conference, many of the talks dealt with facing afflictions. In Stake Conference, they referred to some of these talks and and topic of facing our afflictions. It seems to be a matter of how you face them. From all we've read from your blogs, it seems like you're facing your afflictions well. Thanks for your examples. We love you lots. Love, Mom and Dad

The Bellyakers... said...

Lt. Jones,

I want to thank you for the great letter and pictures you sent to the kids here at Sierra Elementary. (I am a friend of Brynn Davies.) We sent your letter out to each class in the school and the children loved reading about Afghanistan and particularly loved seeing the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It made a complete circle in their learning cycle... and for that we are so grateful!

All our best and greatest admiration...
Lindsey Worthen & the Sierra community