I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day 207: Caramel Popcorn Balls


Growing up, my mom had a winter time tradition. When the first snow of the season fell, she would make caramel popcorn balls. This has been a wintertime ritual that as far as I know has never been skipped. Even this year, I received a package from my mom with caramel popcorn balls enclosed after the first snowfall of the year in Utah.

Well, snow finally found its way to Herat yesterday. We have had plenty of cold recently and we have had plenty of rain. However, until yesterday, nothing white made it all of the way down to the dusty valleys of Herat. Last night around 5PM we noticed that the rain had turned to snow. It snowed hard for several hours and then lightly the remainder of the night. By morning we had 4-5 inches on the ground. Not bad for the first storm of the season. It was fun to see snowmen appear on the camp and care had to be taken to avoid the snowballs that were flying through the air throughout the day. It was kind of exciting.

Hopefully my mom will read this, make caramel popcorn balls, and send them to Herat. I hate to have her go through all the work, but after all, tradition is tradition.




5 comments:

Beth said...

I'm so happy you finally got your first snow; now it will seem more like Christmas! I know that with the nice weather we've mostly had here, it was hard to get in the Christmas spirit until it finally snowed and stuck! Build a snowman, make a snow angel, throw a few snowballs and pretend you're in Utah!

djones said...

So, does the tradition apply not only to the first Utah snowfall but snowfall...everywhere??? Hmmm. I better not speak for mom but I'll bet the popcorn and caramel will come out before too long. Loved the pics.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,
Wow, it looks beautiful. The first snow is always fun. Did you get the carmel I left in one of the popcorn balls? Carmel popcorn is a fun winter tradition. I'll try and send you some more soon. I love you. Stay warm.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

what a wonderful tradition!
i think i shall copy it--even though i'm a little late for the first snow.
i just wanted to say that i really like the ice cicle (sp?) picture.

jules said...

Hi Dr. Justin! I enjoy seeing these pictures. You look good...I hope you feel good and are doing well. I heard about your dental experience...pretty wild. I wish and pray for your wellbeing and speedy return home. I visited with Sue and your family at the Christmas party at Michael's and theyseemed to be doing pretty weel though theymiss you much.
Very best wishes, Paul B.