
Most of my days over the next year will pass as I live behind the protection of some kind of wall. These walls, fortified and built up and constantly guarded, protect me from potential dangers that await on the outside. Without these walls, security could be compromised and serious consequences could occur.
I often reflect on how grateful I am to live in a country where I can enjoy freedoms that aren’t limited by the confines of walls. I can come and go as I please. I can leave my home without passing through a checkpoint . I can sit on my lawn relaxing and enjoying the sunshine, while my kids run around and play. The walls of my home are as much for decoration as they are for keeping others out.
Now don’t get me wrong, as I sit here looking at the wall in front of me, I am glad I'm on the side that I am. I wouldn’t want to be on the other side. I feel for those good Afghan people who are trapped on the other side of the wall, whose lives are still filled with suffering, poverty, and fear. I pray for the day when these walls that men build to protect us from ourselves will no longer be needed.

2 comments:
I also pray for that day. Thanks so much for your insights!
We're grateful for those walls that surround you! Reading your blog gives us a greater appreciation for our freedoms and for those who, over the years, sacrificed and fought valiantly for us. Thanks, too, for your book recommendation, "Kite Runner." We are enjoying it and appreciate the insight it provides on the way of life in Afghanistan. We're actually listening to the book at the same time Mom's reading it. The audio is narrated by the author and it's interesting to hear his pronunciation of different people, places and things. One example would be his pronunciation of Afghanistan or the "Afghan" people. We love you.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Post a Comment