The day before Sue and I were married was one of the busiest and most hectic days I think I can remember. It seemed like there were a million things that still had to be done before the big day. Mostly they were things Sue had to finish up, so I was there mostly for moral support. I remember spending the evening at her house. Her dad and I were sitting at the little kitchen table chatting while Sue and her mom were busy getting things ready. Now for those of you who don’t know my father in law, he was a great and wonderful man. During his final years here on earth, his mind was partially clouded due to having some dementia. I enjoyed his company and just sitting around talking with him. As we were talking that evening, he asked me casually if I had any questions about the birds and the bees. I was kind of shocked initially and being the easily embarrassed type, I quickly declined the offer. Looking back, I wonder if I should have said yes--it probably would have been an interesting conversation.
Well today my interpreter started asking me some questions and it wasn’t long before he started asking me about the birds and the bees. He is getting married soon and he wanted some “medical advice” about the topic. Now as a doctor, I often get questions on these kinds of topics. It really is no big deal to discuss it. However, it was a little awkward to delve into the topic with him as we were walking around the Afghan Army base. Some of his questions were, shall we say, a little strange. I gave a few quick answers and then quickly distracted him by saying, “look at that...let’s go take a picture.” It was a good way to change the topic.
Above is some of the scenery that helped get me out of this conversation.

9 comments:
Thanks for the laugh, honey. I can just picture that conversation with my dad.
Hey, not to change the subject, but isn't that first picture watermelons. We are still eating a watermelon from our garden. It is small but yummy. Your children had some last Saturday. I love you.
Love, mom
It would be interesting to hear what conversation accompanied each piece of scenery...especially the solder with the bazooka. Yes, it would have been interesting to sit there with Dad and talk about the b&bs. Considering his condition at the time, the dialogue could have been memorable! We miss him. I'm glad to see your post. I thought you might have gone off base for a few days again. And, as always, I hope you're feeling okay.
Love, Dad
Just a word to the wise - you'll have to come up with a better tactic when your children start asking such questions! Alan and I actually did have that conversation with Mom and Dad, before the dementia, and it was very helpful and beautifully done. Dad had a knack with those kind of things. Maybe it came from being a medic with the Navy!
oh, that was really funny
:)
thanks for the laugh!
So funny Justin! Glad you are doing well and getting some experience in talking about the birds and the bees.
Oh my goodness. Is that 3rd picture a statue or a man? Cause it could probably go either way.
Okay, nevermind. It's a statue.
(:
That story reminds me of the night before I got married and my younger brother (won't mention any names) who had been married a whole three weeks asked me if I needed any advise. Unfortunately it was dark outside so I couldn't use your technique.
Jeff
Post a Comment