I was reminded today of the anthrax cases in D.C. as I saw for the first time a real case of anthrax. One interesting thing about practicing medicine in Afghanistan is that there are infectious diseases that we don’t normally see in the United States. Anthrax is one of these diseases. Most cases of anthrax cause skin disease. Sheep, cattle, goats, and camels carry the bacillus anthracis bacterium that causes anthrax. Those who are exposed often form large sores on their bodies. Untreated it carries about a 20% fatality rate. The really dangerous forms of anthrax are of the ingestion and inhalation variety, as was seen in D.C. These carry a very high death rate in those that are exposed--even if they are treated.
The gentleman seen below has cutaneous anthrax. The skin lesion is red and raised, with a central blackened area called an eschar. This guy will be started on treatment and will probably do just fine. It was an interesting case and a good reminder to you all that the next time you run into a stray camel...think twice before reaching out to pet him!

4 comments:
ouch! Looks painful. You can't catch it can you.............be careful.
Good stuff! Gets me excited to get out there...I think?!!
Ouch! Okay maybe it is best I went into accounting!
Yikes!!! That looks nasty. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment