I'll be home soon...

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day 154: Waiting for Water to Boil


Five months ago today, I was enjoying my last night home prior to leaving for this deployment. In some ways it seems like the time has gone by quickly...in other ways it seems like an eternity. However, as I reflect on the days that have passed, there is one thing that I am grateful for...and that is that my "deployment countdown" at the top of my blog is finally out of the 300's. We have whizzed past the 400's and now the 300's are a thing of the past. Honestly, I try not to count the days. What is it they say, "a heated pot being watched, never boils" (okay that is totally wrong...someone help me out...I would google it but my internet is too slow). Or it's like the kid riding in the car who keeps asking his mom and dad, "are we there yet?", every 2 minutes. The point is, watching the clock only makes time pass more slowly. But today was one of those days when it was hard not to think about the time that is passed and the time that remains. This is for 2 main reasons.

First, we had a bunch of new Navy guys arrive here in Herat. It was such a nice feeling not to be the newest guy here on base. They had new, crisp uniforms. The excitement of the unknown could be seen in their faces. They kept asking me questions such as, "where is the Post Office?", "how do we get laundry done?", "do you know where I will be working?", "what time is dinner?" It reminded me of how grateful I am to have put 2 months under my belt. It was nice to actually feel like a veteran. It also was great to finally meet someone who I knew was going to be here longer than I am.

Second, my good friend Mike recently arrived in Afghanistan. I have been curiously following his facebook comments and blog posts to see where he is headed and what he will be doing. Even though we may never cross paths here in Afghanistan, it is nice to know that I have a friend on this side of the world. Good luck Mike on your new adventure and stay safe!

So here we are 5 months after the adventure began. I am grateful for the lessons I have learned. I am grateful for the ways I have grown. I am glad that Sue and the kids are being watched over and loved. I am grateful for my safety and for that of those around me. I miss you all!

So now as I go to bed I will put numbers, counting and days that have passed out of my mind. I will try not to focus on this heating pot that for some reason refuses to start boiling. I will try to work and take advantage of each day that is mine. I will look for opportunities to improve myself and strengthen my character. I will try to better serve those whom I have come here to serve. I know some day that "deployment countdown" will pass through the 200's, then the 100's and finally reach zero. I can't wait for that day to come. However, until it does I will press onward and try to make each day the best that I can.

Hey, I think I just figured it out..."water watched never boils." Is that right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A watched kettle never boils is what we say, but its all the same. I have been watching the countdown days as well and was really happy to see 300.
Stay positive now you are dealing with more hands on medical work does it not make it all seem more worthwhile.
Take care Janice

Anonymous said...

As I read you blog, I thought of a phone call we received last night from our home teacher, Brother Lyells. He wanted to scheduled this month's appointment. "Weren't they just here?" I thought to myself. Really! It seemed like they were just here!!! Time seems to fly except for your time in Afghanistan. It's going to be a lot longer than your mission! For that reason, we love getting and reading your blogs. This was an exceptionally good one. You have a great attitude. We are grateful for you and your positive outlook. We love you.
Love, Mom and Dad

Beth said...

Yeah for the 200's! What we say is, "a watched pot never boils". I agree, it's best not to watch the clock ticking if you want the time to pass. We'll all be so happy when you're back with us again!

Mike said...

hey Justin, thanks for your thoughts. Your blog is great! Yeah I started a facebook account and it's a little addicting. Well I'm same over on the "East Side". I'll have to tell you about the 6 hour convoy through K-G pass sometime...not fun!