
What do you say to a mother whose 12 year old son has cancer? It is a difficult conversation. Especially when the chance of any meaningful treatment or recovery is small. Today I met this young man who 5 months ago noticed something growing inside his right cheek. His mother sold their house and took him to Pakistan to have it evaluated and removed. Three months after the surgery, the mass was back and overtaking his whole face. It is such a sad and devastating story to hear. My heart goes out to this poor boy who now can barely eat and is in constant pain. I feel for the mother who is willing to sacrifice all that she has for her boy, but despite her efforts, has found no successful treatment.
The boy likely has a parotid gland cancer. This is a relatively rare type of cancer in children. His case seems particularly bad given the size of the mass and its rapid growth. You feel so helpless to see something like this and have so little to offer. I hope that we can find somewhere to send him for further treatment--even if it only to decrease the size of the tumor and provide him some temporary relief.
How grateful I am to live in a place where conditions like this can be identified early and treated. I am grateful for the health of my own children. I am grateful to know all children are loved by a Heavenly Father who knows them and will someday welcome them back to a home where pain and suffering don't exist.

2 comments:
What a heart-breaking story! I hope you can get him some help. Having the gospel and knowing our Heavenly Father's love for each of us is such a great comfort when confronted with such human tragedy.
Such a sad story. Our hearts go out to him and his mother. Hopefully you and others can find some short term remedies for them. We love you and are grateful for you.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Post a Comment