This evening I met an Afghan police student who had a very extensive case of vitiligo. It covered a large percentage of his body. As I examined him, I started to explain what his diagnosis was and how it develops. For most of this man's life, he has been dealing with a condition that he didn't understand or know how to treat. He explained to me that he had been ridiculed and teased most of his life due to his skin color. I went on to explain to him that there is no real treatment for this condition and this is something that he will continue to have to live with for the rest of his life. I was surprised by his reaction, as tears started rolling down his face. He thanked me, we finished the exam, and he moved on.

I was touched by this man's emotional response and his sincere sadness when he found out that he would never be cured of this condition. He probably thought that the American doctor would be able to give him something to take away his problem and with it all the years of ridicule and mockery associated with it. I wish I could have. I hope at least the knowledge he now has of his condition will make dealing with it a little easier.

1 comment:
That would be the hard part of being a doctor. . . telling the patient there is no cure. I hope people quit ridiculing this man. People can be mean. I'm glad he got to see you because I know you would be empathetic. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment