I'll be home soon...

Monday, October 27, 2008

Day 156: Mysteries in the Heavens

There are two pictures below...try to pick out what may be unusual to see here in the Herat sky.



Any ideas? I'll give you a hint. What are the two things that you see--mention them and you will be right. Answer: Birds and clouds. The clouds are unusual because it rarely is so overcast. We may have a few scattered white clouds overhead now and again, but they rarely are dark or look like potential rain clouds. I have not seen a drop of rain since arriving in Afghanistan. Apparently it has been six months or more since it last rained.

Now birds, how can they be unusual you ask? Well, this evening a flock of what looked like pelicans flew over Camp Stone. The pictures don’t do it justice--they just look like seagulls here. However, in person, they were large and looked like the real deal. No one, even those who have been here a year, had seen anything like them. They circled the camp a few times and then just flew off. I know, not that interesting, but hey it was something different.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Wow...birds & clouds. Just kidding. I would not survive without rain...I LOVE the rain. Maybe we should have gone to Washington. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Wow when you enlarge the picture these beaks are huge , I am glad they didnot dive bomb you.
Our news report on Afghanistan was about the drought worst they have had in years, not only are they suffering war conditions but also famine.
Sue come back to Dundee we are having rain ,rain and more rain.
Iam glad something different happened for all of you guys Jan

Anonymous said...

I love cloudy days when I'm home and have time to bake. I don't like cloudy days when I have recess or bus duty or have errands to run. Birds are fun. Last winter I kept seeing some kind of prints in the middle of the snow in the backyard. We figured out that it was ducks. In the spring, our suspicions were confirmed, when we saw 17 ducks sitting on our lawn. I love you.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I love cloudy days when I'm home and have time to bake. I don't like cloudy days when I have recess or bus duty or have errands to run. Birds are fun. Last winter I kept seeing some kind of prints in the middle of the snow in the backyard. We figured out that it was ducks. In the spring, our suspicions were confirmed, when we saw 17 ducks sitting on our lawn. I love you.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

How come two printed?!?

Bryan Rasmussen said...

I haven't commented on your blog much, but I do enjoy reading it. I think of you often because people I work with periodically go to Afghanistan to work on Human Terrain projects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Terrain_System)

Glad you're doing well. Hurry back so we can all go on a nice long cruise together or something.

Bryan