I'll be home soon...

Friday, October 31, 2008

Day 160: Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

Today was a full day...especially for a Friday. Here are some of the highlights:

1) Participating in a 5K at Camp Zafar (ANA Army Hospital).
2) Watching the rain fall for the first time since leaving Kansas.
3) Escaping the cold and watching a movie in bed.
4) Eating 5 rice crispy treats and 2 chocolate chip cookies for lunch.
5) Having Sacrament Meeting with my one fellow Herat Church member.
6) Attending an awards ceremony for the Navy guys who are leaving in a few days (I have tried to convince them to take me with them--no luck yet!)
7) Passing out candy to the American kids who came on base to trick or treat.
8) Running out to the hospital for an "emergency" which turned out to be a woman with a really full bladder.

It was an eventful Halloween. Really it was nice to have a busy and fun day to distract me from missing the family back home. I wish I could have been there to see my 50's girl, witch, black cat, and monkey boy dressed up in their costumes and going out to trick or treat. You can't help but feel young when you see the excitement bursting out of the kids on Halloween day. I miss you guys. BOO!


The British Royal Marines came out for the run carrying a log along with them. They actually beat several people.


Am I looking tired yet? I actually finished in the top 10--total time 24:02.


Here are the 5K winners...two Spanish contestants and an Afghan. The Afghan took third but really ran neck to neck with the Spanish and the amazing part is that he did it in LOAFERS! Notice the flower behind his ear--the Afghans love flowers.


A tired looking group.


This guy decorated up his barracks for the occasion.


The Dining Facility was also decorated. They typically try to decorate in some way for any kind of holiday or special occasion.


"Trick or Treat".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the run. Sounds like it was a busy day! We love you, Mom and Dad

Beth said...

I'm glad you got some kind of Halloween celebration. Alan and I stopped in to see your cute kids last night; they were darling.