I'll be home soon...

Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 163: Hand Me Downs

I remember as a kid never liking hand-me-downs. My brothers and I would always complain if we ever had to wear something that came from someone else. This especially was a problem as we got a little older. No one liked to wear dirt brown colored, frayed, corduroy bell bottoms, when they could have the latest pair of designer Girbauds (no I never owned a pair of Girbauds).

Well as I have grown-up, my attitude toward hand-me-downs has changed dramatically. No longer are these items to dread, but rather items that keep the kids clothed, entertained, and most importantly save us money. Our friends the Hendry’s were always very kind to us during medical school and passed along many items that helped us get along. We always liked to get “Hendry hand-me-downs” because their junk was better than most peoples good stuff. In fact, I am pretty sure we have a bunch of Hendry stuff still floating around the house (thanks guys).

As I mentioned the other day, a bunch of Navy guys just left Camp Stone. I did all I could to convince them to take me along with them. However, all of my campaigning was for naught and yesterday they drove off into the Herat sunset leaving me behind. It was kind of sad to see them go. However, the one benefit of them leaving was that they left me some hand-me-downs. I acquired a rug, 2 lamps, a small table and a TV. That’s right, now I have cable TV in my own room. Now, I can sit down after a long, hard day and watch the highlights on Sport Center just like the guys back home. I doubt I will watch it much but I’m sure there will be occasions where it will be nice to sit down and unwind.

Actually maybe I spoke too soon. I just flipped through all five of my channels and found that my viewing choices include: The View, Gilligan’s Island, Handy Manny, Sesame Street, and the Wheel of Fortune. Oh well, beggars can’t be choosers, right?



Interestingly, soon after hooking up my TV, I received a letter from Abbie. Her biggest concern is listed below...



So yes Abbie, now I can watch TV.

3 comments:

Becky Lewis said...

With 13 children, hand-me-downs were treasured items. Starr would always tell Autumn not to ruin something that she fancied because by the next season usually it belonged to Starr. One day Autumn was so upset because some favorite item had to be handed off to Starr and Starr was skipping off in a happy state. These were Autumn's words as she was nearly in tears, "It's not fair, she always gets the hand-me-downs and I never get any hand-me-ups".

Anonymous said...

you can

Anonymous said...

Hand me downs can be a lifesaver. I love you,
Love, Mom