I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day 179: 23 Students

Over the past 2 weeks, I have taught a group of 23 police officers basic combat lifesaving skills. It has been a rewarding experience. More than anything else, I have enjoyed interacting with and getting to know these neat people. I feel like I know the Afghan people a little better after spending a portion of each day with them. I have laughed with them. I have let them stick me with a needle. They have shared with me personal stories of fear and tragedy. I have seen their goodness and their desire to better their country for themselves, their families, and their fellow Afghans. There is so much that is different between them and me--their language, their religion, their culture, and their up-bringing. However, deep down they are more similar to me than different. Their hopes, fears, and dreams are really not that different from mine.


Today they graduated from my class. They will be traveling home within the next few weeks. My students come from two main areas--one in the south and one in the north. Both areas are some of the most dangerous that we have here in the region. Life as a police officer in Afghanistan is a dangerous job. We have areas where large numbers have been killed in the line of duty. As my students graduated today, I wondered what would happen to them. I wondered what kind of experiences lie ahead for them. I hope they will go forward and make a difference for their country. I hope none of them will be hurt or killed. Hopefully, they will use some of the skills they learned to help save the lives of others.


Here they are posed in front of our classroom with their certificates. Afghans love certificates. Anytime they do anything, they always want a certificate. I was happy to give them theirs--they are a good group of guys.

P.S. Happy Birthday Mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope they are safe, too. I will pray for peace to come to these people who have been in war so long. I'm grateful that you have been able to work with them and see their goodness. I love you. Thank you for remembering my birthday.
Love, Mom

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

I just noticed you've been 4 days without treats! I think that may be the longest I've every noticed! Ha! Way to go! ;) Don't worry I haven't even been one day!

Beth said...

Justin, you are making an awesome difference and we'll keep praying for your safety and the safety of those you are helping over there.

Sue said...

Have I told you I love you recently?