I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 164: Election Day


How does a seven-year old view today’s election? Here is Abbie’s perspective that she shared with me this morning over the phone:

Abbie: “Dad, who are you going to vote for?”
Me: “Oh, I don’t know. Who are you going to vote for?”
Abbie: “I voted for McCain.”
Me: “Why, McCain?”
Abbie: “Because ‘Rock’ Obama is going to make taxes bigger, and he is, uh, like, going to make the rich poorer.”

Wait, I thought, is my little seven-year old girl really talking about taxes and the economy? She seems a little young for that kind of insight. I was impressed.

Our conversation continued:

Me: “Did you guys get to vote in school?”
Abbie: “Yea. At first I was going to vote for ‘Rock’ Obama. The whole reason I was going to choose Obama was, uh like, he likes to cook...like I do. Plus, he likes to play basketball and jogging...and I like those things too...and his birthday is closer to Ellie’s.”
Me: “Oh” I said, while thinking, “now that sounds more like a seven-year old.
Abbie: “But then I decided to vote for McCain.”
Me: “How did you learn all this stuff?”
Abbie: “I read it at school and at home. Also I watched it on a show and Grandma told me.”

It was an entertaining and interesting conversation.

After I finished chuckling and hung up, I thought more about my conversation with Abbie. It made me realize how grateful I am to live in a country where even my seven-year old is learning what it means to vote and make decisions about one’s government. It is such a different world over here in Afghanistan. After years of war and constant power struggles between various warlords, people are now just having the opportunity to vote and have some say in their government. Elections should occur here sometime next year. What a blessing it is to be able to vote for our leaders and to let our voice be heard. Our candidate may not win, but like Abbie, we are all free to think through the issues and the candidates and then cast a ballot for the people and the causes we believe in.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I am so grateful for that privilege and freedom and especially grateful for people like you who are guarding that freedom and helping to assure it to other nations!

mkamye said...

I love that she calls him "Rock" Obama. That's too cute!

Anonymous said...

I had my first graders vote. I was surprised that they all seemed to know who was running and knew who they were going to vote for. I told them that when adults vote it is private and no one can see their vote. So I had them close their eyes and vote. 12 for Obama and 9 for McCain. I love you.
Love, Mom

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

Abbie's one smart little cookie! I barely knew that much about the candidates! ;)