I'll be home soon...

Monday, November 17, 2008

Day 177: Fried Onions

Today the Afghan doctors I am mentoring taught me a new way to deal with skin infections and abscesses. Their solution--fry onions and then place them, while they are still hot, on the infected area of the skin. This hypothetically will help draw up all the infection and bring it to the skin’s surface. I know this a good approach to making a hamburger taste better but using onions on skin infections...that was a new one for me. Their approach isn’t necessarily wrong (who knows it may work), it is just different from how we would approach the problem in Western medicine.

This experience reinforced the fact that just because we don’t do something in the United States, doesn’t necessarily mean it is a bad idea or that it won’t work. I try to keep an open mind and try not to judge their approaches to practicing medicine. However, I do try to make suggestions. For example, I have noticed that Afghan doctors don’t keep any kind of medical record. A typical patient encounter goes something like this...patient comes in, the doctor asks one or maybe (on a good day) two questions, the physical exam is usually skipped, and then they write a prescription for some kind of medication. They don’t document anything about the encounter and no kind of permanent record is kept. So today, I suggested that I help them start making very simple patient records...basically a folder with some blank paper in that they can put some notes in. I explained in detail all the advantages for both them and their patients of keeping a medical record. They seemed to agree and we decided to start working on the project.

However, as we continued to talk more about it, some of their concerns about keeping medical records surfaced. “How could a hospital keep a record on every patient that comes in”, they asked. “It would be impossible”. I tried to convince them that it isn’t only possible but necessary. “This is Afghanistan, not America”, they continued, “we can’t do everything you do there.” I continued to try and convince them to my way of thinking.

Finally my interpreter ended the discussion by helping put it all in perspective. He said, “Hey, we don’t even know when our birthday is here in Afghanistan. If we don’t even write that down, how do you expect us to keep a medical record on every patient.” He had a good point. I chuckled and agreed with him. In a country where most people don’t even know the day they were born, maybe asking them to keep a comprehensive medical record is asking a little too much. Let’s work on birth certificates first.

I still will probably keep working on the project and try to teach them how to write and keep notes on their patients. However, I think my first priority will be teaching them how to use their onions to make a double cheeseburger. I think that might be more rewarding!

8 comments:

djones said...

I'm just wondering if they're into the whole "green" thing of recycling; in this case, onions? I hope not. In any case, my appetite for a hamburger just went out the window. In fact, anything that you'd put an onion on are now off the list. Thanks lots, Justin! So, do they have filing cabinets? If they're not sure about folders, I'm guessing their even less convinced that there's a need for file management. Good luck. You are certainly getting a wide range of experiences. Somehow this will come back to help you as you manage people who organize your medical office. Have a great day...when it comes!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

As odd as the onions sound, I've actually read somewhere that in the past the pioneers used to do something similar. Also I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they don't keep medical records, but wow!! If the individual keeps coming back how do they remember what they have already prescribed. Craziness.
Love, Kim

Beth said...

You really are living in a different world! All you can do is try, I guess, to make things run a little more smoothly for them. Keep up the good work!

mkamye said...

I love reading your blog and seeing how different they do things over there. Keep up the good work. You are doing some good over there!

~Amy Hawkins

Becky Lewis said...

Well, Indian people use allot of "different" things for ailments that most others have scoffed (?) at and now some are being recognized.....but ONIONS, hmmmmmm I'm not so sure about.

Anonymous said...

I love onions....go Onions!!!

Jean

Anonymous said...

What a fun and interesting post. Thanks for the up date. I love you.
Love, Mom

lissasue said...

Hey Justin I hope all is going well for you. I just found a link to you guys from Gina DeMarco.
I love reading Sue's blog and seeing how your kids are growing we miss you all here in Fallon.
As for onions I'm not sure, but I know raw grated potato sure helps reduce the effects of a burn, my mom used it a lot, especially once when she burned her palm on a corning ware flat stove that was hot, she had no blisters and no scars. So maybe the onions do work.
Melissa Jones