
Lately, I have seen a lot of camels during my journeyings around Herat. A few hours south of Herat there is a “herd” (bonus points for whoever can tell me what a group of camels is called) of camels that we always pass on our way down there.
So when I was a kid I remember hearing that the hump of a camel was filled with water. It made sense. After all, camels are always in the desert and never have much water to drink. There must be some water in that hump of theirs. So how much water can be held in an average sized camel hump?
The answer is...none. Actually camel’s humps really are full of fat and have no water at all. When they aren’t able to eat they burn the fat and use it for energy. Fascinating, I know--just the reason you keep turning back to this blog for entertainment (or a cure for insomnia).

3 comments:
LOL guess what a group of camels is called ....... a HERD.
Hang on in there , its nice to read the more lighthearted side of things mixed in with the serious.
How are the treats going ? I say go for it you deserve them!!!!
I will even send you some real chocolate treats from here if you have an address.
Keep smiling Janice
Gosh, I thought I'd get the first-come prize. What did we do before Google? Yup, a group of camels is, indeed, a herd. Who would have thought! Thanks for the fun pictures.
Love, Dad
Cute camel! Nice picture of the herd.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment